Wild Ilangi not as bright yellow as before

For discussion of all Tropheus & Petrochromis
fishing4exotics

Wild Ilangi not as bright yellow as before

Post by fishing4exotics » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:33 am

I've returned to keeping Tanganyikan fish after 12 years, and I've noticed that wild Ilangi are more brown in color now than 12 years ago. I don't see the bright yellow glow on their flanks anymore. Are they being pond raised now? Did the wild population disappear?

Benoit

Re: Wild Ilangi not as bright yellow as before

Post by Benoit » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:58 am

Hi, according to Ad Konings, the population has suffered greatly from the samples for aquariums, they only live on a strip of coastline of 200 meters, and the entire world has taken samples. Genetic diversity has necessarily diminished, so this may explain the fact. But your memories may also be an idealization of this Tropheus. :wink:

:arrow:

James Shingler

Post by James Shingler » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:19 pm

I hear that rummour too but I also hear that they are quite numerous now but it is just that they have got quite good at avoiding colection making it a less atractive option for colectors. Dunno if iether rummour is fact or not.

Very dangerous to dive the site I hear and they are very popular and the more yellow ones go for a premium.

I understand wild caught are available now and again at some importers but weather they are as yellow as you remember check out the photo for yourself taken at a importer/dealer local to me.
(The more yellow ones may be picked out of a shipment I guess before they reach the shops and go to prefered customers or to be bred by the dealer) The photos in the Aqualog book on Tropheus look very similar (or duller/less yellow) and were taken before the year 2000.
Dunno but I hear rummours or remember something about em being bred lakeside but why would that make em less yellow? Anyone with any sense would breed mainly and select for the desirable colour surely?

All the best James

PS to be honest I do not understand why they are so sort after. They never seemed any better coloured than many other cheaper types to me. Though I have seen some old published photos eg
Adult male, Photo: Ad Konings

where I do not believe the colours are real (or at least in the years I have seen them (since the early 1990s (I can not remember the first import date exactly)), I have not seen one even aproching this colouration), which may go some way to explain the lust for em.

fishing4exotics

Post by fishing4exotics » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:00 am

I have had T. Ilangi in my possession. Not being so bright as Ad's picture, but bright yellow, none the less. Certainly much brighter in colour, and not as brown as the 1st picture.

The reason I mention the possibility of wild Ilangi being pond raised, was in reference to a picture I saw of Toby Veil's facility (google "Toby Veil Ilangi" and you'll find results with deleted posts?). Since the population has diminished, and that there have been pond raised sources for them, and that I have kept them myself, I am inclined to think that the sources for wild Ilangi may have crossed with the nearby Chilanga or are pond raised.

T. Ilangi has always commanded a higher price. If you have seen the bright yellow Ilangi in person, you will understand the premium in price.

I hope that through proper breeding and conservation, I'll once be able to see the Ilangi I once had as my prized fish. This was more of an accurate representation of the Ilangi I knew:
Ilangi.jpg
Ilangi.jpg (32.47 KiB) Viewed 8779 times
Illangi.jpg

James Shingler

Post by James Shingler » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:44 am

If I saw Ilangi like that in the shops/importers I think I would buy them. 8)
Now or in the past.
The Aqualog Schupke book mentions that they used to be collected at two different sites but I do not know how reliable this is.
Perhaps the wild population has lost the very yellow ones (Ad mentions this.... he could not find the very yellow ones when revisited one dive location) or perhaps they only get that yellow when kept in tanks for a long while and fed colour enhancing foods etc.
Or is it that the selected line bred ones show the most yellow?
I guess we would need up to date photos of em in the wild and compare these to older photos of em in the wild to be sure.
Real photos with no touching up or colour enhancing and not didgital photoshopped ones.

Sorry that sounds cynical but folk seem to show photos of stuff that have been colour enhanced in various ways.

All the best James

fishing4exotics

Post by fishing4exotics » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:48 pm

Thank you for your input, James. Always good to hear people's point of view from "across the pond" or anywhere else in the world. :D

yodeman

Post by yodeman » Sun May 30, 2010 9:19 pm

Hi, Sorry this thread is so old, but I have just signed up. I have come to the same conclusion on Ilangi's. I was out of the hobby for a few years as well, and have just started to get back into it. The ilangi's of 11 or 12 years ago are 1000% more yellow than the ones currently in circulation. IMO the ones around now should not be commanding a premium price unless I have not seen the best ones out now. Here is a pic of the wild caught male my F1's came from in 1999. not enhanced at all, taken on 35mm and just scanned into my computer without any adjustments. believe me when I tell you the fish looked just like this in person.
I hope this link works, the pic is not showing up in preview. Anybody that saw the original importations of this fish, would know that the quality has suffered. I'm trying to figure out why that is as well. Ron

yodeman

Post by yodeman » Sun May 30, 2010 9:26 pm

OK, the image didn't make it, trying again. the photo is copyrighted 2010 because I just scanned it in, but the picture was taken in 1999. these fish were imported by Peter Rubin from Toby in 1999, and this was Doug Conklin's dominant wild male. You can tell by the algae on the PVC pipes that the chroma is not at all goosed. HAs anyone seen ilangi's this good recently?

Ron
Attachments
ilangi
ilangi

dogofwar

Post by dogofwar » Mon May 31, 2010 9:22 am

I think the most logical explanation for the lack of super yellow wild fish is that individuals that exhibit the most color have been collected...so the population has fewer individuals with this characteristic.

Given the reported overfishing, wouldn't it make sense to stop collecting these fish and instead focus on selectively breeding captive populations for the desired characteristics?

Matt

Return to “Tropheus & Petrochromis”