Gymnogeophagus cf. gymnogenys "Arroyo Yerbalito"

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

gage

Gymnogeophagus cf. gymnogenys "Arroyo Yerbalito"

Post by gage » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:44 pm

Hey guys, picked up 6 juvenile Gymnogeophagus cf. gymnogenys "Arroyo Yerbalito". got some shots of the largest (2") male that is starting to color up fairly nice, didn't shoot any pics of the others as they are all still small and gray... :)

sorry about the horrible quality pics.

Felipe Cantera
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Gymnogeophagus cf. gymnogenys "Arroyo Yerbalito"

Post by Felipe Cantera » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:42 am

Hi!
There is 2 species of gymnogeophagus from Arroyo Yerbalito and both belongs to the "Group gymnogenys";

1) Gymnogeophagus labiatus "Blue Yerbalito"

http://www.aqvaterra.com/cichlids_labia ... balito.php

2) Gymnogeophagus gymnogenys "Quilero"

http://www.aqvaterra.com/cichlids_gymno ... uilero.php

And number 2 is what you have.

Felipe

gage

Post by gage » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanks,

They were bought as just Gymnogeophagus cf gymnogenys "Arroyo Yerbalito", Thank you for the clear up :), however the second link is not working for me :)

Mack Emmons

Post by Mack Emmons » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:58 pm

Beautiful fish. :)

Ken Davis
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Ken Davis » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:11 am

Felipe Cantera wrote:Hi!
There is 2 species of gymnogeophagus from Arroyo Yerbalito and both belongs to the "Group gymnogenys";

Felipe
For some reason Spence is marketing the gymnogenys as Yerbalito instead of Quilero, just confuses people, a lot were sold at the ACA convention under this name, I bought some in the auction thinking they were labiatus and notice when I got home they were gymnogenys. Ken
An empty tank is a terrible thing to waste!

Felipe Cantera
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Felipe Cantera » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:17 pm

This is not the first time...and I am sure it will not be the last time either.... :D
Maybe it's because people dont like the names that I choose for "my" fishes? :lol: :lol:

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:47 am

In general, you name your fishes after the river where they life - and I think that is the best name

However, in this case, the gymnogenys is not named after the river - I think in order to prevent confusion. However, personally I would therefore name them after the river myself (that is, I would ignore the name you gave)

this once, that is :? :shock:

Felipe Cantera
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Felipe Cantera » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:21 am

Not easy to explain with my english...but I try, and of course, with a good "dose of imagination" from your side :D
The common names can be after the river, but when you have several species (new ones?) from the same stream, it can be confusing to have;
1) Gymnogeophagus sp. "Cañada Local" (an unknown sp. from the "rhabdotus Group")
2) Gymnogeophagus sp. "Cañada Local" (an unknown sp. from the "gymnogenys Group")
3) Gymnogeophagus sp. "Cañada Local" (another unknown sp. from the "gymnogenys Group")
+ some Australoheros and/or Crenicichla

Therfor I think that other common names can be used...,names that can be asociated to that fish as;
* spot = "Salamanca"
* town or place = "Valentines"
* region = Treinta y Tres
* something typical for the sp. as color/shape/etc = "Big Lips"
* something typical for the spot/place/etc = "Olimareño"

I am sure that there is a lot of other/better options...but I am a collector and not an expert in "common nomenclature".... :(
However, the "problem" can be when people do not understand the meaning of the word.....because the language.....so maybe our next "project" could be to explain the meaning of the diff. common names?....anyway....to use the same name (as river/region/etc) for diff. sp., is to confusing in my opinion.

Back to the G.gymnogenys "Quilero"
The name Quilero (in a kind of "slang" we use at the border Uruguay-Brasil) means "smuggler"......and the name of the dirty road there I first colleted that sp., is; "Camino de los Quileros" , just 200 meters from the Rio Yaguarón, border to Brasil.

Ken Davis
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Ken Davis » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:03 am

I am with Felipe on this one, since he is the only exporter or Uruguay fish and he has names for each fish from each location we should all use his nomenclature so there is consistency in the hobby, calling the same fish by two diffrent names only confuses hobbyist who can not really tell these fish apart and will lead to hybrdization. Ken
An empty tank is a terrible thing to waste!

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:00 am

I do agree it is a good idea to use all the same name. And as far as I understand, Felipe names almost all fishes after their locality - the best way tio distinguish between different varieties within 1 species

In many places one finds a fish from the meriodonalis group (that is, a biparental substrate spawner) and from the labiatum/gymnogenys group (a highly dimorphic mostly maternal larvae breeder), and most often, Felipe uses numbers, the first is sp I and the latter sp II

However, I understand in some cases this does not help enough - the Arroyo Yerbalito, the Ayo el Tigris and many more all have a labiatum type fish and a gymnogenys type fish. In the Rio Yi one does find find gytmnogenys, but not labiatum, here one finds the new species G tiraparae, also highly dimorphic, maternal larvae breeders. But this fish has been addressed as San Borca

A name such as G gymnogenys [river] [where] or Gynogeophagus sp [river] [where] number would be ideal, in my eyes - because the river is always mentioned

But I do know a rivername does not tell everything. Last time I was in Uruguay we visited 2 Arroyo Talas, one in the south (flowing into the Rio Santa Lucia) and one somewhere near Salto :?

gage

Post by gage » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:38 pm

Ken Davis wrote:
Felipe Cantera wrote:Hi!

Felipe
For some reason Spence is marketing the gymnogenys as Yerbalito instead of Quilero, just confuses people, a lot were sold at the ACA convention under this name, I bought some in the auction thinking they were labiatus and notice when I got home they were gymnogenys. Ken
And thats who I got them from :)

Felipe Cantera
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Felipe Cantera » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:47 pm

Bas Pels wrote:I do agree it is a good idea to use all the same name. And as far as I understand, Felipe names almost all fishes after their locality - the best way tio distinguish between different varieties within 1 species

But I do know a rivername does not tell everything. Last time I was in Uruguay we visited 2 Arroyo Talas, one in the south (flowing into the Rio Santa Lucia) and one somewhere near Salto :?
Even if I dont know all our streams...I know that we have 6 Arroyo or Cañada "El Tala", 7 Arroyo or Cañada "Sarandi", 9 Arroyo or Cañada "Sauce", 5 Arroyo or Cañada "Quebracho", 7 Arroyo or Cañada "Espinillo"....(all are after names of trees)

Darrell Ullisch

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:10 am

Killifish people figured all this out about 20-30 years ago, and started using collection codes. These are usually identified with the initials of the collecting team, the year, and a number to identify the order in which the sites were visited. These correspond to a list of the sites visited by a collecting team, and in the last 10-15 years this list includes not only a description of the site with habitat data, but also a GPS coordinate. The sites are also assumed to be changed each year, as many fish are moved downstream during the rainy season, so that collecting in the same place a couple of years later is treated as a new population. For most cichlids that might be a bit much, but with Killies it sometimes does matter.

AKA funds a list of all reported collections with the data that the collectors are willing to share. Sometimes the exact GPS is not released, particularly in the case of threatened species. It includes both New and Old World collections.

Of course, all this works great until some former cichlid guy comes along and rearranges the letters! :lol:
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Felipe Cantera
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Felipe Cantera » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:23 am

gage wrote:Thanks,

They were bought as just Gymnogeophagus cf gymnogenys "Arroyo Yerbalito", Thank you for the clear up :), however the second link is not working for me :)
The link is now working! :)

gage

Post by gage » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:29 pm

hope mine turn out like those :shock:

Nuno Landeck

Post by Nuno Landeck » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:37 pm

Do you have new pics??
NUNO LANDECK APC#188 BARREIRO - PORTUGAL

gage

Post by gage » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:27 pm

I'll get some updates up ASAP, they have not grown much though.

I have a question regarding plecos, you guys know of any that handle the low temps that these Gymno's require?

Marko Lenac

Post by Marko Lenac » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:54 pm

ancistrus. I keep mines with some gymnos at 15 degrees and they spawn regularly. the ancistrus are not wild ones.

gage

Post by gage » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:44 pm

Just the good old $5 LFS bristlenose huh? sounds cool, but I have already owned a ton of these in the past, so I was hoping to go for something a tad bit different.

Thanks for the suggestion and it may come down to my only choice.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:38 am

The common Ancistrus comes from Paraquay, originally, and is threrefore not ideally suited.

The problem is, if you want Uruguayan Ancistrus, you will have to go to Uruguay (which I hearthely advice everyone, I returned yesterday :) )

The Ancistrus from Uruguay have not been bred yet

Return to “South American Cichlids”