Rocio Octofasciatum

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Alex Odesit

Rocio Octofasciatum

Post by Alex Odesit » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:08 pm

How can we not love this fish, yes common, but still very interesting and easy to care.
Before (Feb 2007) and after. Now 10" ruler of the 210 gallon
Alex
Attachments
Shreck2R.jpg
Shreck R.jpg
King2.jpg

Snostrebla

Re: Rocio Octofasciatum

Post by Snostrebla » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:04 pm

Good to see the King! :D

Nuno Landeck

Post by Nuno Landeck » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:43 pm

Very Beautiful....I have two pars of them.
NUNO LANDECK APC#188 BARREIRO - PORTUGAL

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:09 pm

mutotinho wrote:Very Beautiful....I have two pars of them.
Thanks,
I love to see the pictures what type of Rocio kept in Europe now.
I am originally from Russia, and I remember that Rocio back there (people call Cichlosoma Biocelatum,lol) and back at the time may be 30 years ago :shock: were very different that what I see here, in US for past 19 years

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:44 am

I am from Germany and the R. octofasciata usually available here are not essentially different from your fish. Judging from photos in the old literature (the oldest color photo which I have seen is in a book from 1959!), this strain may have been present for a long time, although I cannot say if it descends from the fishes initially introduced to Germany in 1904. Occasionally there were other forms available here in the last years, which where brought back by traveling aquarists, but most of them ar less colorful than the old strain.

RM

davidefc

Post by davidefc » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:23 pm

Alex Odesit wrote:
Thanks,
I am originally from Russia, and I remember that Rocio back there (people call Cichlosoma Biocelatum,lol) and back at the time may be 30 years ago :shock: were very different that what I see here, in US for past 19 years
Heres mine, iam from the UK....male about 8" and female about 6" maybe less. had them for a year now, got them at 1.5".

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:52 pm

Back in the days as I mention above the thread it was allot less colorful form of Rocio in Eastern Europe.
At least the ones I remember.
Last year I was snorkel/diving in Mexico Cenotes (tnx Juan Artigas to hook me up with right people) and all wild Rocio I have seen were smaller and less colorful then the quality one from the hobby, belongs to advanced fish keepers.
I read numerous of the time that Rocio from South and North of their distribution vary in color and size drastically.
Any one have something to add to it? I am really interesting.
Alex

Rico Morgenstern wrote:I am from Germany and the R. octofasciata usually available here are not essentially different from your fish. Judging from photos in the old literature (the oldest color photo which I have seen is in a book from 1959!), this strain may have been present for a long time, although I cannot say if it descends from the fishes initially introduced to Germany in 1904. Occasionally there were other forms available here in the last years, which where brought back by traveling aquarists, but most of them ar less colorful than the old strain.

RM
Last edited by Alex Odesit on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:58 pm

davidefc wrote:
Alex Odesit wrote:
Thanks,
Heres mine, iam from the UK....male about 8" and female about 6" maybe less. had them for a year now, got them at 1.5".
Very nice mate!
Your JD's looks great.
What their tankmates, and how big is the tank? What is a diet? Who is dominate fish?
Here recent picture of my pair...
Attachments
RoyalsR.jpg

davidefc

Post by davidefc » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:15 pm

Alex Odesit wrote:

Very nice mate!
Your JD's looks great.
What their tankmates, and how big is the tank? What is a diet? Who is dominate fish?
Thanks mate, the females colour is stunning while prespawning but when protecting the fry completely black.
Wish they were as big and colourful as yours :)
Tank mates are a wild caught female Festae, male jaguar, pair on convicts and a shoal of clown loaches.
Tank size is 120 gallon, thinking of moving the jaguar to its own tank and making it a bigger community.
The pair and the jag are dominate, the JD stay at one side and the jaguar at the other, no aggression but its very hard adding another fish.
Diet is Hikari cichlid gold, catfish pellets and earthworms when i have some left from fishing. Also frozen brine shrimp, bloodworm, krill and cichlid diet mix.

They are beginning to prespawn now, i also have juvies from them which are going to be in a auction on sunday.

What tank size and diet do you keep them with?
dave

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:51 pm

David, your's will get there. You have nice looking pair. Your tank is pretty good size as well, and the diet is A + (they love earthworms) 8) but I would worry about future aggression from Festae female (I know you moving Jag out).
Festae, are nasty, she can damage Rocio fins, eyes, etc, they (Festae)also the most unpredictable cichlid I ever had, very quick mood changes.
My JD pair is in 210 gal with Cuban cichlid (female), Two Pearsei, Trio Meeki (all male), Trio Convicts (male & 2 female, food on wheels,lol), Trio of Heros Efasciatus (male and 2 female), one Uaru, and many dithers.
5 large Silver Dollars, 3 Rainbow and Red Tailed shark, some Opaline and Kissing gourami, and bunch of clown and blue botias, even one Odessa barb, still wondering alone for past 1.5 year,lol
If I do it again, I will not mix CA and SA, but it's always another time 8)
Alex
davidefc wrote:
Alex Odesit wrote:

Very nice mate!
Your JD's looks great.
Thanks mate, the females colour is stunning while prespawning but when protecting the fry completely black.
Wish they were as big and colourful as yours :)
Tank mates are a wild caught female Festae, male jaguar, pair on convicts and a shoal of clown loaches.
Tank size is 120 gallon, thinking of moving the jaguar to its own tank and making it a bigger community.
The pair and the jag are dominate, the JD stay at one side and the jaguar at the other, no aggression but its very hard adding another fish.
Diet is Hikari cichlid gold, catfish pellets and earthworms when i have some left from fishing. Also frozen brine shrimp, bloodworm, krill and cichlid diet mix.

They are beginning to prespawn now, i also have juvies from them which are going to be in a auction on sunday.

What tank size and diet do you keep them with?
dave

davidefc

Post by davidefc » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:13 pm

[quote="Alex Odesit"]David, your's will get there. You have nice looking pair. Your tank is pretty good size as well, and the diet is A + (they love earthworms) 8) but I would worry about future aggression from Festae female (I know you moving Jag out).
Festae, are nasty, she can damage Rocio fins, eyes, etc, they (Festae)also the most unpredictable cichlid I ever had, very quick mood changes.
My JD pair is in 210 gal with Cuban cichlid (female), Two Pearsei, Trio Meeki (all male), Trio Convicts (male & 2 female, food on wheels,lol), Trio of Heros Efasciatus (male and 2 female), one Uaru, and many dithers.
5 large Silver Dollars, 3 Rainbow and Red Tailed shark, some Opaline and Kissing gourami, and bunch of clown and blue botias, even one Odessa barb, still wondering alone for past 1.5 year,lol
If I do it again, I will not mix CA and SA, but it's always another time 8)
Alex

[quote="Alex Odesit"]

Thanks, yeah hopefully he will get there, favourite cichlid i have :D thanks for the tips with the festae, i have herd alot of stories of them being nasty and killing alot of tankmates, upto now shes fine, hasnt killed anything but i do keep an eye on her. i could never get rid of her though, too nice :D :lol:
In all my tanks i have mixed ca/sa, everythings fine now but if i had the space i would go for species tank
heres a pic of her and my jag:

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:42 pm

nice quality fish Dave you have.
Not too many cichlids compare with happy female Festae in it coloration. Jag (male btw) looks menacing as well :D
I have had Festae and breed them years ago, (btw fry of Festae never had problem to sell at that time). Also, exactly what I mention before, even being a single (no pair, no mating) fish in the tank, Festae behave pretty good for month's, until all of a sudden I found damaged fish on the morning, once almost lost 8" Loisellie male.
In most cases it happen over night, so keep close eye on it.
One day when my kids bigger and I have my 12 ft wall back, I set up tank for Festae, they are my favorite SA cichlid.
I don't believe tank smaller then 180 gal is sufficient for them anyway, may be smaller but at least 6 ft long and 24" wide.
Have a question, I see you use sand in your tank, how it's on your pipes at home?:)
When you vacuum, how much it goes to the sink?
I like to get some sand for my new 90 gal, but not sure, if I want to have extra headache.
Oh, and about mixing SA & CA, sure it's not problem in most cases, most of the fish breed in captivity and even wild caught adjusting easy, but it's just cool to have a biotope tank, it took over 3 decades for me to get to this point,lol
Here is my tank, see this Rocio is a bull :lol:
Attachments
tank shot.jpg

davidefc

Post by davidefc » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:20 pm

Nice tank, hes a brute, like the firemouth too :) like my thorichthys.
I find sand quite easy to clean as all the dirt is ontop of the sand while with gravel its inbetween and hiden. i turn my externals off whiledoing w/c's.
i do syphon quite alot of sand up but i clean it and then put it back in the tank.
I used to have gravel but prefer sand much more because of the looks.

I do like my festae but i really do like aequidens like pulcher and rivulatus. Id really like a tank with Ornatum, Festae and Gold saums :D

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:00 am

davidefc wrote:I find sand quite easy to clean as all the dirt is ontop of the sand while with gravel its inbetween and hiden. I used to have gravel but prefer sand much more because of the looks.
I also like the way sand looks for some fish, but worry about not only extra work while cleaning but rather about amount of good bacteria resides between the gravel and the way oxygen gets to it, because of the spaces between, while sand is all packed and don't have such favorable condition for the good bacteria, therefore slowdown waste breakdown in the given tank.

Alex

davidefc

Post by davidefc » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 pm

Quick video of my pair with freeswimming fry, they became freeswimming today...

8)

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:51 pm

David, very nice, thanks for sharing.
I hope you have plans for hundreds young in 2-3 month. :lol:
Is your pair in community tank still, or you separate them?
Man, Rocio is such lazy fish in daily basis, but not when they protect the fry :)

davidefc

Post by davidefc » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:23 pm

Yeah they are really good parents, they are still in the community.

I removed the fry, still some left which are doing really well, i thought they'd get eat at night by the clown loaches and the syn.cats.

Fry are quite easy to get rid off, i put a advert up yesterday or the day before and have already sold 10 out of the 30, for a good price too :D

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:19 pm

No way mate! UK is not overload with JD's?! or you just have good advertizing skills :shock: It will be a hard task to do it here, where I live, US, New York area.
How much is in the store in UK. good quality Rocio, around 2"?
davidefc wrote:Yeah they are really good parents, they are still in the community.

I removed the fry, still some left which are doing really well, i thought they'd get eat at night by the clown loaches and the syn.cats.

Fry are quite easy to get rid off, i put a advert up yesterday or the day before and have already sold 10 out of the 30, for a good price too :D

davidefc

Post by davidefc » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:53 pm

They go for about £4-6 $8-12 each.

I have gotten some more interest for the others in the space of time already 8)

Take it you dont raise them?

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:23 pm

2 to 5 US $ depended of the store, sale and fish quality.
But they getting fish from established breeders or farms, and don't interesting about my fish.
Yeah, you right, I am not raise them, and hope they wont breed again, this 10" plus dude make a chaos in my 210 gal

Return to “Central American Cichlids”