Thorichthys Aureum "Red"

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Ichy

Thorichthys Aureum "Red"

Post by Ichy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:06 am

Hello, I've been wanting to keep thorichthys aueum ,so when i found fish in a store that were unlabled , but looked like a thorichthys I had to ask about them. The guy that helped me was very helpful in searching through severl invoices to find the name that the fish were shipped as . When he came back and told me they were listed as red auerum I figured they were indeed aureums so i bought 6. They looked to have a blue sheen to them when help up to the light and there is a hint of a pinkish blotch forming in the belly area . I thought they were simply young fish and were most likey blue aureum being sold under a name that some distributor thought might sell better. When I arrived home and finished acclimating them I went online to check back on theinfo about thorichthys I'd gone over so many times before. Unfortunately I found soem info that I had not become familiar with...... Red Aureum is a common name for Thorichthys maculipinnis . While I'm still glad to have one of the thorichthys that isn't a meeki ( which I have kept before and enjoyed )I'm pretty disapointed that what I have will not be as brightly blue spangled as I'd thought . I've read in some thread around that these are more aggressive than aureums . One thread mentioned that it's possible that red aureum are actually a hybrid of aureum and maculipinnis?!
Does anyone out ther know what a " red aureum " really is? How old are they before they start to pair off and what can I look for to tell me if what I have is maculipinnis or aureum or worst case if it's a hybrid . I am in the process of trying to get som e decent pictures that I can link. Hopefully within the next few days .

Next my concern is the feeding .... most any fish I've ever owned shows a littl e bit of a tubby belly region after a good feeding .these fish don't seem to be doing that. I'm sure they are eating ,and the stools that I have seen appeared healthy. Thinking back to a firemouth I had I recall it's belly would puff up a bit after a good feeding so based on that I'm sorta concerned about internal problems with these fish .
Also if anyone is familiar with "red aureum" how old or how big are they when they start to show some nice coloration?
thanks

helleborusit

Re: Thorichthys Aureum "Red"

Post by helleborusit » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:23 am

I don't know if red aureum is really Th. maculipinnis, but I have real maculipinnis and they show amazing blue dots. They don't seem aggressive if they have enough space. After a good feeding they have more rounded bellies. Hope this helps. daniela
Daniela

maddog10

Post by maddog10 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:15 am

I also bought mine as "Red Aureum", which of course turned out to be maculipinnis. This fish will surprise you, it is one of the most beautiful fish i have seen. There will be more blue than you think and when the light hits them right they are stunning. This photo does not do the fish justice, there is a lot more blue that does not show in the photo.

Ichy

Post by Ichy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:24 pm

well the tanks a mess and i cant get a great pic but here they are

Return to “Central American Cichlids”