Open sore diagnosis/ treatment help

Discussion about cichlid diseases, treatments and quarantine procedures. Keeping your fish healthy (foods).

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

kass

Open sore diagnosis/ treatment help

Post by kass » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:11 pm

Hello all,

I am new here and this is my first post.

My flowerhorn has a large open sore. About a week ago I noticed a small wound/bump on the fish. It looked like a small wound from interacting with tank mates. I was away for the past week and now it is a large open wound/sore.

The tank is 180 gallons. It has been running for about 1.5 years and is stocked with:
1- vieja synspilum
1- vieja bifaciatus
3- vieja argentea
1- green terror
1- red jewel
1-starry night
1- bristle nose pleco
1- salvini
1- flower horn
The fish are still relatively small, the synspillum is the largest at around 5-6 inches long and the flowerhorn and 2 of the argentea are the smallest at around 2.5-3 inches.

Paremeters are:
Temperature: 79C
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
NItrate: 10-15
pH 8.2
GH/KH - no test kit- but it is very hard water

I feed mainly hikari gold, hikari staple, NLS medium fish, omega one veggie, and hikari food sticks, as well as frozen krill, frozen bloodworms, freeze dried shrimp and earthworms (frozen/freeze dried foods soaked in vita chem).

I generally do about a 40% water change weekly and use prime.

The Bifaciatus and flowerhorn were added to the tank a few weeks ago, after being in QT for 5 weeks. The flower horn showed no signs of illness in the QT tank. It is still eating and behaving normally. Flowerhorn was being picked on a bit after bieng introduced to the tank - but nothing overly concerning, just some nipped fins. The flowerhorn is now back in the QT tank. since adding the bifaciatus and flower horn I've been doing 40% water changes 2-3 weekly.

Any help in identifying the cause and recommending treatment is appreciated! Right now I am doing ~50% water changes every 2-3 days and treating with Seachem Polyguard, in the QT tank.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG-20181208-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20181208-WA0000.jpg

bellamor

Re: Open sore diagnosis/ treatment help

Post by bellamor » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:51 pm

Are you sure that its the playmate that have done this? This fish is badly hurt.

Stayathomecichlidmom

Re: Open sore diagnosis/ treatment help

Post by Stayathomecichlidmom » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:55 pm

Is the wound on both sides? If so looks like he was in someone's mouth. I had an incident once that one of my cichlid grabbed another and had what looked like the same on your fish.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Return to “Health, Diseases and Treatments”