My Convicts from Lago Apanas

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
MizOre

My Convicts from Lago Apanas

Post by MizOre » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:27 pm

I believe these are now considered to be Amatitlania siquia." Lake Apanas is a man-made lake, so populations of this might be from different creek and river populations. The males don't have red unpaired fins (other aquarists have caught some like that near Managua). Air temps. here are in the 16 C to 32 C range, not sure about lake water termperature range. Someone who is doing scientific collecting in a highland tributary of the Rio Tuma has found longimanus, though I don't know if it's in the local rivers here at 1,000 meters.
Convicts from Lake Apanas, Nicaragua.
Convicts from Lake Apanas, Nicaragua.
LosConvictos.jpg (96.1 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
Tank is 80 inches by 19-1/2 by 20, and holds a little over 120 gallons. I've got ten of these and will probably return some of them to the person who gave them to me. Haven't done any collecting of my own yet.

The rules here seem to be that anyone can collect unendangered species from non-preserve rivers for private use, but can't sell them. The parrot populations were decimated by pet collecting so Nicaragua has some reason to be cautious. I don't know if someone from the US could collect fish, or if F1 fish could be sold locally or exported.

I'm considering adding a tetra species which I understand is Astyanax aeneus.
Astyanax aeneus
Astyanax aeneus
There's also another "sardina" (tetra) with yellow fins, but I haven't seen that one yet.
Rebecca Brown
Three tanks in my old age: 30 gallon guppy and quarantine tank, 15 gallon low and wide specially made for plants and shallow water fish , and 125 gallon or so 80 by 19-1/2 by 20 inches full of Convicts and the guppies they didn't eat.

MizOre

Re: My Convicts from Lago Apanas

Post by MizOre » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:18 pm

Further news is that three of the females are nesting and a fourth seems to be getting out-manuevered by the other females and their males. One of the males is on the nests of two females and has tried to break up spawning efforts of the third pair. One of the females seems to be not driving away that male and one other.

When I began in the hobby as a child, the rule on cichlids was that they should be kept in pairs and that the pairs formed by fish being raised together and then the pair was isolated from other fish. I had four Laetacara dorsigera in a 55 gallon and the rules didn't seem to quite work as the dominant female didn't like the dominant male who ate eggs. The bigger tank and more mate choices seems to be better. I saw one of the dorsigeras later in a 100 gallon display tank and it seem much more colorful and vibrant in more water.

The current set up was pretty much convict rescue -- the ten fish had been in a tank with Tanganyikans and were getting beaten up. Three of these will be going to a friend (a junior pair and a spare male who lost an eye to probably one of the Tanganikans -- this one will be turtle food).

Current tank is 80 inches by 19-1/2 (Managua glass seller special) by 20 inches), holds around 130 gallons w/o rocks.

Three of the fish were adults when collected and seven were larger juveniles (unless the lighter colored non-dominant fish are F1 from earlier breeding -- the fish have spawned before).

One of the the local aquarists who's done collecting says that there are small catfish species in each creek that leads into our local river (Rio Jinotega), really localized fish. Nobody has gone looking deliberately for killies.

Looks like a better way to keep cichlids might be in breeding groups in tanks six feet long or larger. The convict market here is such that if prices go up too much, people simply collect them, so I'm not particularly concerned with raising subsequent generations for distribution. Can't legally sell national fish anyway and I haven't yet checked on the situation for F1 tank bred and raised species that come from Nicaraguan fish.
Rebecca Brown
Three tanks in my old age: 30 gallon guppy and quarantine tank, 15 gallon low and wide specially made for plants and shallow water fish , and 125 gallon or so 80 by 19-1/2 by 20 inches full of Convicts and the guppies they didn't eat.

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:15 pm

That is a very nice group of a. siquia and a. aeneus. I had three breeding pairs of Rio Danli HRPs in a U.S. 150g which was 6' long with five astyanax bimaculatus. It worked out well, but the tetras ate most of the fry. Finding any astyanax sp. for sale in the U.S. is difficult. Even common Mexican tetras native to Texas are unavailable in the hobby. Most tetra sp. you can get are all South American which are either really small or very big predators.

MizOre

Post by MizOre » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:25 pm

TheFourthPairMaybe-2.jpg
Two pairs and a single female whose male has another female appear to be sitting on eggs or wigglers. This couple has been courting. She's not particularly eager to spawn with him.

He's a rather nice looking fish, but a bit frayed still from being in a tank with African cichlids:
TheFourthPairMaybe-3.jpg
Rebecca Brown

MizOre

Post by MizOre » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:58 am

Got one fish that lost an eye out of the tank and it seemed to calm down -- not quite sure cause and effect here, but I'm now left with two single males swimming on top and not bothering each other and three and a half pairs with territory on the bottom of the 80 inch long tank. A scientist doing research on wild convicts in Lago Xiloa said that he sees nest spacing at a half meter to one meter, not more. I've asked him to look out for group mobbing of larger predatory cichlids (I think both dovii and Jaguar Cichlids are in Xiloa and dovii show up in highland water here in another of his research areas).
Rebecca Brown

Return to “Central American Cichlids”