need Very old images of German Rams

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

Darrell Ullisch

need Very old images of German Rams

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:05 pm

I have been trying to explain to someone that the term "German Blue Ram" is just a re-branding of the common variety of Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, and that the real German Rams were a very different color form. However, I can find no images of real German Rams on the internet - anywhere.

I'm talking about the dark fish with an oversized vertical humeral spot that extended well into the dorsal fin. They were well known and easily recognized back in the '70s and '80s, but the last time I saw any live was in the early to mid 1990s. (A local acquaintance had brought some back from Germany, and distributed a considerable number of young within our region.) I managed to get some, but forgot to photograph them myself - didn't seem important at the time. They were a very hardy line, but it seems to have died out because no one was trying to maintain them.

References to the "German Blue Ram" appear to have started in the late '90s, but there were no pictures or explanation of origin connected to this name. Then in the early part of this century I started seeing the GBR as being imported from the Far East. It appeared that they were simply labeling their fish with the word "German" to suggest that they had the hardiness of that strain. Now I see people saying that Blue Ram and GBR are distinct strains, when there is no evidence to support this.

I am looking for photos of the true, original German Rams so that I can demonstrate to some of the younger hobbyists that it really was a different line. I'm hoping that some of the older members on this forum remember the fish, and perhaps took a picture or two.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: need Very old images of German Rams

Post by Mike Wise » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:14 pm

Darrell, I know exactly your problem. True - German-bred - German Blue Rams probably no longer exist. I have the same problem when I discuss the original (DDR bred) A. borrellii Opal. I hope this photo of a GBR helps. It is a photo by Horst Linke from a Tetra calendar from 1983 or 1984:

A similar photo, also by Linke, appears on the front cover of the 1st edition (1984) of Amerikansche Cichliden I - Kleine Buntbarsche
Attachments
GermanBlueRamLinke1983.jpg

Darrell Ullisch

Re: need Very old images of German Rams

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:48 pm

Thanks Mike, but the one I'm looking for is the strain that had a wider than normal humeral spot that was about 1/2 to 3/4 of the body depth, and the black went about halfway up the dorsal fin. These were always intense black, never saw one fade out at all.

I'm sure I could have found a photo if I hadn't had to sell all my older books a couple of years ago, including the one you mentioned. I'm sure one of the old TFH small format issues had some, but I got rid of those, too. I might be able to source a proper picture from the person to whom I sold my books. I just don't see him that often any more.

Thanks again, I'll keep looking. I'll let you know if I get lucky!
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Return to “South American Cichlids”