external filter bit noisey

Discussion about tank equipment (lights, heaters, etc.) & books. Also DIY projects.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

gazthedart

external filter bit noisey

Post by gazthedart » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:09 pm

hi my all ponds solution external filter recently started making a rumbling sort of machinery noise, I cleaned it all out and started it up again and still the same noise. I've had this filter running now for aprox 2 and a half year's so I think it's served me well yeah, I like to think it's just knackered now and nearly ready to go out the door lol its ok I got 2 fluval u4 internal filters that I keep spare incase the external fails. I just wondered how long they normally last? I haven't had any rubber seal fail yet on external filter so I think I've been lucky there as I've heard some stories of tank water all over floor, that must be a nightmare.

deeda

Re: external filter bit noisey

Post by deeda » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:11 pm

An external canister filter should last more than a couple years but some parts are considered normal wear and tear and should be replaced.

Have you checked the impeller for wear or damage?

Can you better describe the sound the filter is making?
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2019

gazthedart

Post by gazthedart » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:03 am

thanks yeah it was that impeller, I totally forgot about that part. I have another problem now, it's the middle glass brace or support for middle of tank. it's loose and just hanging and floating around. I'm not sure if it really matters on a 4foot tank like mine. oddly enough I did hear a pop sound the other day and wondered what it was. I don't think the tank will explode lol it's a 48 x 16 x 21 probably over 50 gallons I think. i think to solve this I would have to empty the tank and let dry out then try and reseal the middle support back. I don't think it's worth it though this tank is over 5 years old.

bdmminer

Post by bdmminer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:53 am

On the topic of the center brace, I currently have a 55 gallon tank that has not had an intact center brace for 4 or more years and it has been holding fine. But this doesn't mean the same will happen for you. There is a couple options to fix it. The first one is to drain the tank, find a new frame for the top of your tank and then cut the old one off and replace it with the new one. The second and easier option would be to make an external brace for the tank. Here you only need to drain the tank ~75% measure where the top of the tank and make a new brace from two pieces of aluminum or stainless steel bent at a 90 degree angle and a piece to join them by screwing it together (you could use wood but I would worry about rot)

What I would not do is just silicone the brace back together where it broke, there is a lot of tension in the center brace when the tank is full and the silicone will just pull apart putting you in the same situation as before. Like I said above I have had a tank go braceless for a while without issues but that doesn't mean the same will happen to you. Best of luck

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mike Wise » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:02 am

The center brace is important for long, tempered glass, tanks. These tanks use thinner glass panels than the older non-tempered glass tanks. Tempered glass tanks flex more than non-tempered ones. This is the reason for using a center brace on tempered glass tanks. If the flex to much it can cause a catastrophic 'blow out' where a panel shatters into many tiny pieces. A simple solution to a broken brace is to use a super-glue to join the 2 pieces of the brace together and then put an additional patch across the break with super-glue and a piece of plastic the width of the brace.

Return to “Equipment, Supplies, Books and DIY”