Greetings from another Newbee

This section deals with all aspects of the 'newbie' cichlid aquarist. For questions about tanks, water parameters, food, types of cichlids, and what other fish can be kept with them.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

GrassNinja

Greetings from another Newbee

Post by GrassNinja » Mon May 12, 2014 7:36 pm

Hello all.

I am not necessarily new to Cichlids, lets just say new to educatedly keeping Cichlids. No more extracontinental mixing or golddish and mollies in the tanks.

I currently have a very nice 125G tank. Running 2 Marineland C-360 canisters, and one Marineland (something smaller) canister for polishing and I have an inline heater on this one. My PH, salinety, Amonia, etc levels are very stable so far. I bought the tank used and retained a lot of the original owners substrate and filter materials so that I could retain as much bacteria as possible in hopes of avoiding a lengthy cycling.

I have 27 small 1.5-3 inch Africans. I know what some of them are, but I would like to post some pics and ask for some ID help in the future. (depends on the responses I get)
In with the Africans, i have a pair of Rope Fish (approx 8-10"), 2 Red Devil crabs, 2 Vampire Crabs, a pleco and some Chinese Algea Eaters.

I would like to try to breed some fish in the future. so for the experience, i set up a small 20 gallon and aquired a pair of Convict Cichlids. about 20 days later i had my first batch of eggs. My fry are just now about 3mm long and appear to be swimming to greater distances from their parents and to shallower depths every day. I plan to remove them and place them in a grow-out tank in the next week. Then I hope for some more. I have spoken to a local store who will take my fry in trade, at a very low rate, but honestly, all i wanted was the experience raising the fry. so anything i get out of a batch is a bonus. So my 25 fry for one or two Africans sounds fair to me.

I have recently read about an Extravaganza event held near Cincinnati in November. Has anyone attended this? worth the trip?

Anyhow, that's a little bit aobut me. Thanks for taking time to read this,

Dave

Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: Greetings from another Newbee

Post by Lisachromis » Tue May 13, 2014 9:40 am

Welcome to the forum. Please post away for your IDs. I'm sure we can work out what you have.

Extravaganza is worth going to. You won't be disappointed. :D

deeda

Post by deeda » Tue May 13, 2014 4:47 pm

Hi Dave and Welcome to the forum!!!

The OCA Extravaganza is closer to Cleveland and is well worth the trip. Check out ohiocichlid.com for more info on the event.
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2019

GrassNinja

Post by GrassNinja » Wed May 14, 2014 9:25 pm

deeda wrote:Hi Dave and Welcome to the forum!!!

The OCA Extravaganza is closer to Cleveland and is well worth the trip. Check out ohiocichlid.com for more info on the event.
Thanks, and totally my bad. Also new to the area, I meant Cleaveland. Same thing right? (sports fans?)
I'm glad to hear you guys are open to helping me ID some of my new additions. The tank was just listed "assorted Peacocks", but they were pretty good looking fish just starting to color. Pics are coming. Hard to get nice ones? I'll search in a bit, but if anyone has some tips for photographing fish in a tank I would definitely listen and give it a shot.

thanks,

Dave

GrassNinja

Post by GrassNinja » Thu May 15, 2014 5:18 pm

I have no idea how to post pictures. Found teh FAQ section, but I'm not sure if it's a permissions thing or if Im just not smart enough to figure this out. anyhow, i have some decent pics of the fish. If someone can hold my hand through the process, i will gladly post em. THanks for the time,

Dave

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Fri May 16, 2014 7:19 am

You can use a hosting site like photobucket or you can add them to the post directly. Underneath where you write your message is a box that says options. Beside it is upload attachment. That's what he's referring to. You can have them show as attachments on the bottom of your post, OR place them inline so they show up right in the message.

GrassNinja

Post by GrassNinja » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:01 pm

man I hate not knowing how to do silly easy things. Thanks for the help. hopefully there is a pic with this.
The Yellow circle I think is a VC-10. but uncertain.
The red circle i have no idea.
Directly under the red cirle, is that a cobalt blue? I got him "assorted" with some labs and those blue guys with black vertical stripes (left of pic).
Attachments
for upload smlr.png
for upload smlr.png (252.71 KiB) Viewed 2551 times

GrassNinja

Post by GrassNinja » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:08 pm

couple more here. I think these are easy ones. I labled the ones I think i know. Please correct me if I am wrong.

but what is the Orange one? I see them all the time, one of the most common "assorted" for sale at the big "P" pet stores and Walmart.

the other two, i know are hard to see. bad pic. and maybe too small. any help would be appreciated.

I am working on some newer better pics. they have all grown a bit by now.
Attachments
2 smlr.png
2 smlr.png (231.5 KiB) Viewed 2551 times

GrassNinja

Post by GrassNinja » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:12 pm

scored this guy from a local Petsmart. mismarked. He was "assorted" so for $5 i grabbed him. Now, if I only knew what he was...
Attachments
3 smlr.png
3 smlr.png (229.1 KiB) Viewed 2551 times

Return to “For Beginners”