open sores on Geo tapajos, white fuzzin sores

Discussion about cichlid diseases, treatments and quarantine procedures. Keeping your fish healthy (foods).

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

jamntoast3

open sores on Geo tapajos, white fuzzin sores

Post by jamntoast3 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:41 am

Hi, so I have one of my Geo tapajos red heads quarantined because he has open sores on his head with white fuzz coming out of them. None of the other fish have shown any signs(I think its my fault, I was overfeeding and I knew it and didn't keep up on water changes). So onto the cure, I thought it was columnaris so I have treated him once through with furan 2, it seemed to help but the fuzz reappeared in the sores once the treatment was over. I'm finishing a second treatment now and there is still some fuzz. Is there anything else it could be, or any other treatments I should consider? Thanks

M2099

Re: open sores on Geo tapajos, white fuzzin sores

Post by M2099 » Sat May 05, 2018 1:48 pm

I think I'm dealing with the exact same thing but my water quality has always been good. No fish were added to the tank and I've been feeding the same foods so I don't know what it is. I'm going to upload a pic and tell me if it looks anything like what you have.

M2099

Post by M2099 » Sat May 05, 2018 6:44 pm

Does it look like this??
Attachments
KIMG1012.JPG

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sun May 06, 2018 1:49 am

This looks like hole in the head, and is either the result of an infection in the gut, or bad feeding

Bad feeding is too much dead animals and too little bveggies. Veggies conain vitamins and minerals, what dead animals contain far less.

A gut infection makes it impossible for the gut to get the vitamins and minerals out of the food, resulting in exactly the same lack of those.

Obviously, the treamtment can go along similar lines - feed more veggie food. Died flakes contain really lots of vitamins and minerals, as these degrade during shelftime. But if you get it fresh, it is very good food for restoring Geophagus in such a condition

However, if the cause is an infection, you should treat that too. In most cases the infection is causes by nematodes, small worms.

Return to “Health, Diseases and Treatments”