Pic of Wild Mystery Amphilophus Sp. (Xiloa)

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
newworldsss

Post by newworldsss » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:59 am

Just a little history. I collected these in 2010 in Xiloa as inch to inch and a half juvs. As they grew up, i thought they were many different species. I now again think they are Amarillo..... any ideas?

http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb458/newworldsss/

smitty

Re: Pic of Wild Mystery Amphilophus Sp. (Xiloa)

Post by smitty » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:49 pm

I am not knowledgeable enough to know. But I always find myself in awe of the Amphilophus species. Hopefully someone will chime in and give a clarification. Whatever the final decision is it should include you getting them out into the hobby.
150gal- Dovi's; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maculcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC P.Filters; 2 AC P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5

Aquamojo

Post by Aquamojo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:37 am

What's the thought process to what they are and what they aren't? i would have said Amarillo as well.
"Some days you have the hobby. Other days the Hobby has YOU!"

American Cichlid Association 2010 Chairman
American Cichlid Association Publicity Chairman

cichlid261

Post by cichlid261 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:31 pm

is not a hogaboomorum ?
><(((°<CICHLID261>°)))><

newworldsss

Post by newworldsss » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:26 pm

as they were growing up i didn't know what they were saggittae, xiloaensis etc, as alot of these "supposedly new species" all look very similar as juvs and adults......as they grew up they look like amarillo to me now also...

Adrian Indermaur
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Adrian Indermaur » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:45 pm

Hy,

i would say you got Amphilophus xiloaensis. The amarillo retain the yellowish groundcolor into adulthood much more than in your specimen. Morphologically they are very hard to distinguish although xiloaensis seems to be much more highbodied.

Greets Adrian

see also:

http://www.cichlidae.com/gallery/species.php?id=356
Greetings from Basel

smitty

Post by smitty » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:32 pm

I don't think they were Hogaboormorus since they do not that slight redness in the throat area. Outside of that I am lost for a definitive answer but Amarillo or Xiloaensis definitely narrows the field.
150gal- Dovi's; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maculcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC P.Filters; 2 AC P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5

newworldsss

Post by newworldsss » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:12 am

I still have them the male grew to about 8 inches the female only around 5, I still go back and forth between xiloaensis and amarillo, supposedly xiloaensis doesn't get as large as amarillo, hogaboomorum isn't in nicaragua....I really hate not knowing

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:27 am

Do you remember where exactly in Laguna Xiloá you caught them?
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

newworldsss

Post by newworldsss » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:26 am

I remember it was a park that had a fee to get in, pretty much a picnic area that had food and drink and loud music, there was a girl selling pizza....

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:20 pm

Of course!!! The girl selling pizza!! A GPS position would not give me a better indication of the place. :D

Just kidding... Sorry I could not resist
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:43 am

I hate pizzas! :? 8) :D

The three (four?) Amphilophus species in Laguna Xiloá are difficult to distinguish. Fortunately each one prefers a certain type of habitat. Amphilophus amarillo can be found in shallow water above the Chara fields; Aphilophus sagittae usually occurs above sand (where it is easy to catch prey); Amphilophus xiloaensis prefers the rocky parts.

Shallow water can be found in the south eastern part of the lake whereas the north western part (adjacant to the slopes of Apoyeque) has a steep and rocky slope. I dove extensively in the following locations (see map below):
A. close to our base at the shore of Xiloá
B. at the former military "Club Nautico"
C. close to Apoyeque
D. at a place where sulphuric gases escape from the bottom
E. at a place close to the village "Bosques de Xiloá".

We usually found amarillo at locations A., D. and E., while xiloaensis were abundant at locations B. and C. I suspect you have visited location E. although I cannot remember having to pay a fee to get in.

Fot comparison, here's a picture of Amphilophus amarillo (wild) in my Cichlidarium (collected from location A.):

and one of Amphilophus xiloaensis (wild) from location B>):

More information is available on the DVD "Nicaragua, cichlids from the crater". (sorry, that's one I could not resist).
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

newworldsss

Post by newworldsss » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:47 am

Thanks for the info, where I collected, it was sandy and shallow bottom (6' or less)with plants, these fish were the most common cichlid species along with managuense, "convicts", longimanus, nicaraguense, neets, centrachus and multispinosa. I believe my male looks more like your xiloaensis than your amarillo, like I said seems like mine maxed out around 5-8", do you have a pic of females? There must be a easier way to identify these fish hahahaha, thanks again

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:13 am

Juan Artigas wrote:Of course!!! The girl selling pizza!! A GPS position would not give me a better indication of the place. :D

Just kidding... Sorry I could not resist

I know a girl selling pizza. I went this morning but din't find any Amphilophus around.
Strange isn't it ?

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:02 am

There is no difference between males and females of Amphilophus xiloaensis, except that in a pair females are slightly smaller than males. Also both males and females will occasionally show a hump on the forehead.

BTW: To the best of my knowledge there are no Herotilapia multispinosa in Laguna Xiloá. Can you show us a picture?
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

newworldsss

Post by newworldsss » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:06 am

Looking back at my records I caught multispinosa at Nicaragua and Xiloa, I have pics at gcca.net, looking at pics at "xiloaensis it looks like they have a slight overbit like my female has, she also gets yellow gold when spawning, do you have pics of your females? thanks again great videos I have both only complaint I have with the mexico video there is no narration but great pics...

Adrian Indermaur
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Adrian Indermaur » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:52 pm

hy guys,

@Willem: I also have seen the habitat preferance of the species you are talking about and in the light of divergence via ecological differentation this makes perfect sence. I would suppose though that juveniles and young individuals venture throughout the lake in the search of food and therefore it could be possible to catch different species at different habitats. Especially xiloaensis and amarillo wich are by far not as diverged as sagittae is. I have seen young of ecologically such different species A. rostratus, A. siquia, A. longimanus and N. nematopus all feeding together in exactly this shallow sandy and weedy litoral zone.
@newworldsss: How big were the fish when you caught them?

and in additon the amarillo in tanks do not seem to keep the color that well, which makes the two even harder to tell apart.

I still think A. xiloaensis but thats just a gutfeeling.

Greets
Greetings from Basel

newworldsss

Post by newworldsss » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:31 am

when i caught them they were about 1- 1 1/2", in the net there were other species also, my female just doesn't look right for amarillo, in willems photo my male looks just like his xiloaensis male, i grew up 4, i still have an extra male which looks just like my male of the breeding pair, the one female i had had a a reddish to orange flush in its flanks....she got killed, with pics it seems as if xiloaensis have a slight overbite just like my present female...

Return to “Central American Cichlids”