Centrals & Plants?

Lee Nuttall

Centrals & Plants?

Post by Lee Nuttall » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:47 am

Hi All,

I setup this tank as purely experimental just to see how a few species of cichlids interact within a planted tank. Many people new to centrals get put off because the two don't really mix, but this isn't always the case. If your thinking high tech planted display with c02 injection, then forget it. The plants were chosen as some like Hornwort (Ceratophylum sp) are found in some Mexican/CA waterways. The other species Egeria densa i believe is more an evasive species as they are originally a South American species? Both plant species can be grown either rooted or floating and with only minimal lighting. This low tech approach is very important when having a successful planted community.

The species chosen are a mixture of Mexican and CA species, so not a true biotope tank, but this was done deliberately to see if a range of smaller species with the exception of a small pair of P. breidohri would tollerate and not destroy the plants. Both T. maculipinnis and T.meeki were very suitable for this setup aswell.

The tank has been a complete success with no interactions from the range of cichlids kept, even a pair of C. spilurus used the plants to hide and protect their fry. 8)
Most centrals from the smaller complex will be suitable for this setup including larger species like P. breidohri and P. hartwegi , anything elso will more than likey uproot or eat the plants.

Next project i would like to create is a Rio Verde inspired tank. Now all i have to do is source those yellow labridens. :D

Here is a video showing the interactions of cichlids in thhe display tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN7A0B2H ... ideo_title

Jafh

Re: Centals & Plants?

Post by Jafh » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:39 pm

Good contribution. Always good posts from one of the bests aquarists in this world.

But if a big fish tries to reorder the tank, the plants will be removed, please inform us how is the behavior of the fish trough the time.

Regards.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:46 am

Although I'm not lee, I might contribute.

I've had the experience that plants placed in a 'valley' were always dug out, while thoze placed on a 'hill' were mostly left alone

Obviously, 'vally' and 'hill' only refers to the direct surrounding, and differences of 2 cm suffice

It further helps not to plant plants in front of the entrance to a cave. But, if a cave is constructed of 3 or 4 large stones, the area along the stones can be planted

In other words, create hills on safe places, and put your plants there

Once, very special, I had a lot of Vallissneria left over, and thus I intended to feed them to my 'Cichlasoma' pearsi - I put them everywhere in the tank, but the pearsi, not used to eating plants left them alone for quite a while

It did look nice, but after a month or so, they remembered what to do with plants. It might have been an accident - a bit of leave happened to get into a mouth, and it tasted, well, good. Still, I thought it was a pity

Lee Nuttall

Post by Lee Nuttall » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:22 am

Thank you.

I do subscribe to Bas's theory as you can see how the plants are positioned, however as i touch on in the post, valley or hill won't matter to most medium/large species, the plants will more likely be uprooted or eaten! Smaller members of the central American family tree are more suited to these type of tanks. :D

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:40 am

Perhaps my fishes look a bit more @ me

I'm lazy, and lazy fish don't dig on top of a hill.

Better start in a valley, thus getting a few cm for free :)

But apparently, fishes need an example :lol:

smitty

Post by smitty » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:09 am

Lee a splendid ideal paying off with good results. Brother I have to give you your props. Great job!
150gal- Dovi's; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maculcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC P.Filters; 2 AC P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5

filas

Re: Centrals & Plants?

Post by filas » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:09 pm

great job!

Also I am interested in some plants from CA

Do you know what plants are on this film (2:30) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oped1AP ... tays1Ow%3D

and on this film (2:47) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67yrwaAg ... DjFXclWDM=

It seems to me that the family Nymphaea - but I'd like to know what exactly
Greetings Filas.

sorry for my english :)

Lee Nuttall

Post by Lee Nuttall » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:07 pm

They certainly are a Nymphaea. sp but which one i couldn't say as there are many Nymphaea sp. Most are available for ponds rather than aquariums as you would need some serious lighting to grow them successfully.

Artistic lisence is perhaps needed here in my opinion, as i would use Nymphea Maculata Red or Green (African Tiger Lotus). This is a common lotus plant available for aquariums and if grown right will most likely give you the same effect. It's needs are not as demanding as some of the pond varieties

For best results, plant the bulb three-quarters deep into the substrate, in a nutrient rich soil under bright light, co2 and high tech lighting isn't essential. Trim the submerged leaves as this encourages surface leaves.

Lee.
Last edited by Lee Nuttall on Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smitty

Post by smitty » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:10 pm

Lee, again you did a fabulous job and thanks for explaining what you are doing and the results.
150gal- Dovi's; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maculcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC P.Filters; 2 AC P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5

Lee Nuttall

Post by Lee Nuttall » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:14 pm

smitty wrote:Lee, again you did a fabulous job and thanks for explaining what you are doing and the results.
No probs smitty, this tank is going through a riverine phase at the moment. ;)

filas

Post by filas » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:15 pm

thank you Lee

I plan to build an aquarium with a strong stream of water, of course with Centrals

Which plants will best fit into the tank?
Apply a single strong or clumps of smaller?
Greetings Filas.

Lee Nuttall

Post by Lee Nuttall » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:34 pm

I'm not sure that plants will do that well in a riverine type tank, you could perhaps try adding clumps of Vallisneria?

I'm not planning to add plants to my riverine tank, just plenty of rocks and roots. :D

filas

Post by filas » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:33 am

Pity, I thought that the plants accentuates the effect of flowing water
Greetings Filas.

Lee Nuttall

Post by Lee Nuttall » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:41 am

filas wrote:Pity, I thought that the plants accentuates the effect of flowing water
In this particular setup I'm planning, the flow would unfortunately batter the plants as there will be plenty turbulence. :D

Return to “Biotopes”