Thorichthys "Gold Mixteco" care

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
vealboy

Thorichthys "Gold Mixteco" care

Post by vealboy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:49 pm

I just acquired a pair (male and female I think) of juvenille Thorichthys "Gold Mixteco" at a fish swap meet on Sunday and I am afraid I don't know much about them. I was actually looking looking for Geophagus stendachri, but the seller had a bag of 7 for sale, I really didn't want 7 of them, just a pair. So I bought this pair of Gold Mixteco based on the seller's word they will tolerate soft water and will get along ok in a community tank. So I wanted to get some feedback from some unbiased people that aren't trying to sell me something.

I am looking for a little guidance on water parameters, feeding and any thoughts on how well they will get along in a community tank. Do they prefer pH neutral water? Are they able to tolerate pH of 6, or do they require a higher pH? I assume they are omnivores, but are they 'earth eaters' or will they eat from the water column?

I currently have them in a 10 gal quarantine tank and will for about a month. They are in 80 degree water with a pH of about 6. I am looking to eventually move them to my 55 gal community tank, which is 80 degrees and has softer water, a pH of 6 or so. I currently have a SA cichlid (Guinacara sphenozona), 1 female Gold Gourami, 1 common Pleco, 4 Clown Loaches and a pair of Red Eye Tetra.

TheFishGuy

Re: Thorichthys "Gold Mixteco" care

Post by TheFishGuy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:25 pm

The seller was accurate :)

vealboy

Post by vealboy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:14 pm

Cool, that does set me at ease. It was good to see you there too. 8) He seemed to know his stuff, but then I became concered when I read about them in being in water with a pH of 7 or greater. I was thinking I may have to set up a separate tank for this new pair. That was my first swap meet, it was kinda cool and it reminded me just how little I know about fish.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:32 am

I'd shoot the seller

The fishes are originally coming from Mexico - a country with hard, or very hard water. Fish coming from hard water need the calcium the water carries - or the will grow wrong. A temporarily period of soft water will not harm them - the rain falling in mexico is as soft as the rain in the Amazon area - but in a short while the calcium rich soil will harden the water again

Further, although Thorichthys are rather peacefull cichlids, they are still cichlids which will ultimately defend their territory. The other fishes will have to accept this - and your clown loaches (which, besides, will grow to a foot or more) will not understand this - just as other fishes

The Guianacara are cichlids too, but these come from south America - they will behave quite differently than the thorichthys and will, therefore not 'understand' each other

@ Thorichthys - these are sand sifters and will, therefore get more veggie food in nature than meaty food. Therefore, if you feed them only with animals, they will suffer from a vitamin deficiency. They need veggie food - or good dried food. Moost will eat from the water colom, but only rarely will Thorichthys eat from the surface

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:44 am

But, I guarantee they were not raised, or hatched in that "perfect" environment, and cichlids and unique in the fact they are adaptable... Hence their spread into uncharted waters...

I'm pretty sure they'll be just fine with clown loaches and the guianacara... My ph is 8, and they just spawned........

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:21 am

Clown loach will be fine with Thorichtys if the tank 55 plus gal for awhile. 3 of mine live with much more aggressive cichlids in 6FT tank for many years, just gave to loaches place to hide, they love to stay away from bright light when getting older. But in the long run 55 gal wont be enough for large bulky fish like clown loach.
As for water hardness, I do not have positive experience with keeping Thorichtys in soft water for long time, as Bas mention above they would suffer in the long run.
Alex

Joseph Sprinkle

Post by Joseph Sprinkle » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:19 am

First off more important then water hardness although that is also important is the temperature you keep these fish at . These are cool water fish and can get fin deformities if kept at 80 degrees. These and the other "Mextico" species are best kept cool no more than 76 degrees and 74 is better still. This is from talks that both Rusty Wessel and Jaun Migel have made in presentations and discussions with both of them in person. I have experienced much better results in breeding generations of these myself since 2005with the lower temperatures. These fish do prefer hard water I have not kept nor heard about perils of keeping these in soft water, they may do ok , they may not.

MonteSS

Post by MonteSS » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:16 am

Here is my 6" female. She is OK in a community setting, but a pair will cause havoc. She is almost 2 years old, kept in 76* 7.2 water and eats flake, veggie flake and floating and sinking pellets. She does like to sift.

She was about 5" in these shots.

Here is a little more recent vid
http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq25 ... I_7377.mp4

and her rarely seen aggressive coloration
http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq25 ... I_7466.mp4

....Bill

Grummie2

Post by Grummie2 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:15 am

MonteSS wrote:Here is my 6" female.
Hi Monte. From the pic you seem to have a male, there's no black mark in the front dorsal fin area and the genital area seems to indicate male (as well as the fish's size).
Graham

Rick Thibert

Post by Rick Thibert » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:55 pm

I second Grummie's comments on sex............. your fish is a male! :)

MonteSS

Post by MonteSS » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:07 am

Thanks. I got him from Rapps and he has been real good at sexing young fish i buy. He was only about 2" when I got him almost two years ago.

Mom calss him "Elvis" because he sparkles LOL.

...Bill

Return to “Central American Cichlids”