summer shelters

Discussion about tank equipment (lights, heaters, etc.) & books. Also DIY projects.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

daniele

summer shelters

Post by daniele » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:09 pm

in italy, in summer or spring when it's warm enough, at time we make a little lake for cichlids, you too????
if you know something for hap me tell me!!!!!!!

Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: summer shelters

Post by Lisachromis » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:01 pm

Are you asking if people put their cichlids in ponds for the summer?

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:53 am

If that is your question, I do

But only cichlids from colder areas, namely Uruguay

Many cichlids can withstand a warm Dutch summer, but not a cold one.

And unfortunately, what kind of summer is hard to predect here. Perhaps in your area more is possible

daniele

Post by daniele » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:39 am

then no one of we don't put the cichlids in ponds in spring oar summer????

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:23 am

I do, each summer at the end of May begining of June, usually.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:39 am

It's probably possible. Though they may not be outside for long periods. I kept my firemouths out one summer. They did fine, but it was a long time before the water was warm enough at night before I did it. They also had to go inside by September. It was a small pond so I had to really pay attention to the temperatures. They spawned out there, and the fry were still small when I brought the fish in. (I had firemouths and flagfish together) I never fed the fish. Also, a few times in the summer, I had to go and drag out dragonfly nymphs so they couldn't kill my fry.

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:22 am

I usually use my pond for growing out fry. I only feed a few times at the start of the season to get things growing in the pond they can eat all summer. I plan to add another above ground pond this year or I may increase the size of my current pond, I haven't decided.

I pull them in Labor Day weekend unless it's still warm... I usually do a water change on the pond as I water the garden which is close by.

Ricardo Sousa

Post by Ricardo Sousa » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:37 am

I'm from Portugal and I'm keeping several tanganyika species in a pond. They are still there currently, but I'm planning in bringing them in by the end of the October.

During summer, and late spring, my biggest concern is the temperature delta between day and night and the fact that during a really hot day the temperature can reach 30ºC.

It's the first year I'm doing this and it's working as planned. There are other's here in Portugal that keep cichlids in ponds, some tropical, only through summer or inside greenhouses, or all year round with sub-tropical like from Uruguay.

Best regards,
Best regards,
Ricardo Sousa

Return to “Equipment, Supplies, Books and DIY”