New Photos of old Tang Tank (fmueller.com)

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Tanganyika

Moderators: Troy, Thomas Andersen

fmueller

New Photos of old Tang Tank (fmueller.com)

Post by fmueller » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:09 pm

It's been a long time since I have last posted pictures of my 240G. The tank is now almost four years old, and has matured beautifully with huge Java ferns on the background, Anubias on the caves, and Java moss overgrowing lots of the rocks. The fish have also grown a fair bit!

I have just updated the fish part of the 240G Frontosa section of my web site and added lots of new photos. Feel free to check it out or to use this link if you just want to see the new photos from January 2009.

Here are some teasers:
tank-5.jpg
tank-11.jpg
helianthus-5.jpg
Cyp-jan09-1.jpg
Enjoy

Frank

PS: There is also a brand new section about my 5G Shelldweller tank on my web site.

Mack Emmons

Re: New Photos of old Tang Tank (fmueller.com)

Post by Mack Emmons » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:37 pm

Excellent photos, and beautiful fish.

Do you have any issues with the Frontosa trying to eat the other fish. I know in the wild they often prey on Cyprichomris.

J-wedding

Post by J-wedding » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:23 am

The eyes of your A.Compressiceps seem to bulge, it could be an infection :shock:

fmueller

Post by fmueller » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:36 am

Thanks for the compliments! Keeping the fronts together with the cyps is certainly a risk, and I would not recommend it in a smaller tank. This tank is 8' long, and I introduced the fronts at well under 1" when the cyps were nearly fully grown. They have been together in that tank for almost 4 years now, and as far as I know, the fronts have never bothered to catch another fish. I keep the fronts well fed and the cyps seem way to fast for them. Countless leleupi and julidochromis transcriptus fry would be a much easier prey for them - as would be the brevis, who face off with the fronts in front off their shells and nearly swim into their mouths! That being said, when I last sold some of the fronts (I started the colony with 50), the alpha male at a huge clown loach during his first night in the new tank :shock:

The alto's eyes do look funny, and it's the only type of altos I've kept, so I do not have much comparison. I have eight in the tank though, and they all look like that. Also, they don't behave as if they are sick, so I tend to assume that's just the way they look.

Frank

christerb

Post by christerb » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:06 pm

Thanks for showing these photos, as well as those on your web site. Nice seeing the progress of both the aquarium and the inhabitants. I really like the look on the males of A. compressiceps and N. brevis. In my eyes many specimens looks better as they get older - it gives them a rougher look, sort of gives them character.

Regards,

Christer

9winDuDown9

Post by 9winDuDown9 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:15 pm

Hi, I like your fish any tips on acquire a tank like that are open... Cause I would like to get one like that someday. :cry: :cry: lol but yea I counted your fish it appears you had 23 of them frontosa and currently it appears you only 10 what happend? By the way they are beautiful :wink:

fmueller

Post by fmueller » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:31 pm

If you read my site, there should be hardly any questions open on how I set up that tank. Admittedly, I can be kind of wordy, so there is a lot of reading, but hey, you asked :D

Regarding the number of fronts, I started with 50 of them in that tank when they were about 1" long. For pictures click here. Naturally I had to thin the herd over time. Many of them were sold at the OCA Extravaganza. At this stage there are 11 left - 3 males, 8 females. I think that's a good number for the tank. I was planning on only 2 males, but one hid in the overflow box when I caught the others :lol:

Greetings

Frank

9winDuDown9

Post by 9winDuDown9 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:01 pm

Wow that should be a good piece of information that you all gathered, and yea their nice and a hell of a deal for them this lady over in colorado charges 75 but don't know what kind they are cause you mention the different types that are more costly and like you said you had a good connection for those f2 from a fellow fish keeper, I read about Jörg Weisser and you were saying that you liked to have a setup like his well I think the way you decorated made up for not having high dollar fish in my belief. :shock:

Klaus Steinhaus

Post by Klaus Steinhaus » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:06 pm

Beautiful photos of an amazing tank. Thanks for posting these for us.

fmueller

Post by fmueller » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:07 pm

Sorry for the late response.

9winDuDown9 - Jörg Weisser's tank could quite easily be decorated like mine, if one so desired, but I'll never be able to bring my tank up to the size of his - it's about 660G compared to my 240G :shock:

Klaus Steinhaus - Many thanks for the compliments. I am a great admirer of your own web site, and your fantastic looking tropheus tanks! I have been meaning to shake hands with you for some time - from one German cichlid fan in North America to another! :lol:

I am looking forward to be able to do this at June OCA meeting, where I understand you will be speaking. I am very much looking forward to your talk!

By the way, have you seen my tropheus setup yet? This section of my web site is brand new!

Greetings

Frank

Klaus Steinhaus

Post by Klaus Steinhaus » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:33 pm

fmueller wrote:Klaus Steinhaus - Many thanks for the compliments. I am a great admirer of your own web site, and your fantastic looking tropheus tanks! I have been meaning to shake hands with you for some time - from one German cichlid fan in North America to another! :lol:

Thank you Frank Image

I am looking forward to be able to do this at June OCA meeting, where I understand you will be speaking. I am very much looking forward to your talk!

I too look forward to June. It will will be a lot of fun to see the friends I have made at the OCA again and hopefully make some new ones, including you.

By the way, have you seen my tropheus setup yet? This section of my web site is brand new!

Yes, I have and it turned out beautifully. Tomorrow I will be travelling to Detroit for three days on business. The evenings at the hotel will give me ampel time to read it properly.

9winDuDown9

Post by 9winDuDown9 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:56 pm

Klaus Steinhaus wrote:
fmueller wrote:Klaus Steinhaus - Many thanks for the compliments. I am a great admirer of your own web site, and your fantastic looking tropheus tanks! I have been meaning to shake hands with you for some time - from one German cichlid fan in North America to another! :lol:

Thank you Frank Image

I too look forward to June. It will will be a lot of fun to see the friends I have made at the OCA again and hopefully make some new ones, including you.

Yes, I have and it turned out beautifully. Tomorrow I will be travelling to Detroit for three days on business. The evenings at the hotel will give me ampel time to read it properly.

Nice tropheus tank does, this guy you bought the orange congo still live in the Denver area? How much did they cost?

9winDuDown9

Post by 9winDuDown9 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:59 pm

fmueller wrote:Sorry for the late response.

9winDuDown9 - Jörg Weisser's tank could quite easily be decorated like mine, if one so desired, but I'll never be able to bring my tank up to the size of his - it's about 660G compared to my 240G :shock:

Klaus Steinhaus - Many thanks for the compliments. I am a great admirer of your own web site, and your fantastic looking tropheus tanks! I have been meaning to shake hands with you for some time - from one German cichlid fan in North America to another! :lol:

Greetings

Frank
I don't know how to read german your tank just looked and appeared more sharper. But yea 660 gal. tank is just huge.

jamesmilner

Post by jamesmilner » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:50 am

Good afternoon.
Very nice topic and underwater pictures. Good job.
Good luck
James

jamesmilner

Post by jamesmilner » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:28 am

According to theme of the topic I'd like to share with you information how to make underwater pictures and how to edit . If you have free time please check it. I guess you will surprise.
http://fixthephoto.com/blog/photo-tips/ ... -tips.html

Thanks for topic and good luck
James

Return to “Lake Tanganyika Cichlids”