Etroplus maculatus, golden oldie from a forgotten era

Discussion about cichlids from Madagascar and India
sidguppy

Etroplus maculatus, golden oldie from a forgotten era

Post by sidguppy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:45 pm

even before i started keeping Malagasy's I stumbled across this Golden Oldie

I bought 4, wich turned out to be 2 pairs.
2 mated quickly and the 2 others got the crap beaten out of them.
so i sold the other 2, since they were fine fish too, would be a waste to let them perish.

the 2 mated Etroplus are now nesting!
enjoy the pix

"And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it"
Jean-Luc Picard

Nuchal Man

Re: Etroplus maculatus, golden oldie from a forgotten era

Post by Nuchal Man » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:51 pm

Actually an Asian fish. Congrats on the spawn. I got some from a friend a few months ago and hopefully will be able to spawn them. Your right though, it is a great fish that has been forgotten. I'd love to get some info on the breeding conditions you had for these guys. Also, what size/age were your fish?

Thanks,
Sam

sidguppy

Post by sidguppy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:24 pm

I know they're Asian

but Asians have the same sort of attraction to me than Paretroplus has.

and this section covers both Malagasy and Asia ;)
"And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it"
Jean-Luc Picard

Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:53 am

Nice fish,

I used to keep Orange Chromides but haven't seem them in the Uk for a long time. I do however have a wild breeding group of the larger Sri Lankan Suratensis:

Keeping them alongside Paretroplus really shows the similarities.

Tom

sidguppy

Post by sidguppy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:41 am

I really like that fish

however they need a fair amount of salt and there are fish in my showtank wich don't like that amount for very long.
there was a bunch for sale here in Netherlands for some time at an auctionsite, but the salt issue kept me from buying them.

I like the looks.

the Etroplus here lost their fry a few days ago.
unfortunately I had only several brands of artemia-larvae-replacement foods and the fry wouldn't accept none. they starved to death.

shame, but at least now I know that i really should restart my old hatchery if I want to breed this fish.

hey Nuchal, I don't know the age.
they still grow a bit and since I bought them they grew about 1 tailfin in length. i think I can safely put their age between maybe 1 or maximum 2 years. they're not old at all, but they spawned the day after I bought them in the quarantaine tank. they were 2" or so, now they're 3".
but if this is a fish that grows very slowly first -like Tropheus for example, or Altolamprologus- they might be older.
I've never seen a baby Etroplus here, they're that rare.
Jean-Luc Picard

Nuchal Man

Post by Nuchal Man » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:30 pm

Thanks for the info Sidguppy. I hadn't seen them in the Chicago area in 5-6 years, so when my friend bred them, I had to get some fry. They are doing good and I can't wait until the start to show some breeding behavior.

I had the greens for a while and converted them from brackish to freshwater and they did great for about two years. I tried breeding them again by putting them in brackish water, but couldn't get them to go. Eventually I gave up and gave the pair to a friend. They are awesome fish also.

Either of you keep the Etroplus canarensis? I haven't seen these in my area yet, but if they come up, I'll have to jump on them. They seem pretty cool.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:48 am

Nuchal Man wrote: Either of you keep the Etroplus canarensis? I haven't seen these in my area yet, but if they come up, I'll have to jump on them. They seem pretty cool.
Not litterally, I hope :lol:

It's one of the rarest fishes we keep. If you spot them for sale, most likely the seller does not know what he's got

try to keep your excitement inside, pay the requested amount (anything less than 200 US $ does sound very reasonable indeed to me) and come home safely :shock:

Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:45 am

I had canarensis for a while but they didn't prosper. I gave my remaining few to friends who still have them, I believe and have bred them once. BTW my Suratensis are in 1/2 strength seawater so their water is very brackish. This is the only way I have had them breeding.

Return to “Madagascar Cichlids”