Magnum

Discussion about cichlid tank filtration

Moderator: Ken Boorman

Lagoon

Magnum

Post by Lagoon » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:14 pm

Bonjour!

I've been thinking about adding a Magnum filter for over 2 years now, it's for my 130 gal. I will probably be adding 2 -303 fluvals and jump it with a Magnum. My problem is ....... There are different Mags out there! I know some of them are noisey as heck some are considered quiet. Which are good and which ones aren't so good.
Any help is apreciated, Thanks!

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:12 pm

Lagoon,

I have all sorts of Magnum filters in my fish room, none of them make noise unless something get's stuck in the impeller area.

Depending on your fish load, a Magnum 350 can handle that tank easily. you could also use an Emporer 400.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Lagoon

Post by Lagoon » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:44 pm

It does Dan, Thank you for that :)

I'm not sure if the problems that I heard about we're mainly impellar or motor problems. But what you say regarding impellar related problems, does really make sence!
I know some model(s) have been taking off the shelves on the LFS. But this was also a few years ago, I just wanted to check it out before I invested the cash.
I would not only put a mag on since they are really just mainly for micron filtering. Not sure about the loading I will put in the tank, still going back & forth on ideas of fish etc ....

Thanks again!

Regards
Gloria

Return to “Filtration”