Fish room air pump setup

For all general discussion. Ask your fish keeping or other questions here.

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

Scott Jackson

Re: Fish room air pump setup

Post by Scott Jackson » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:00 am

FWIW, my setup is a Gast 1/8 HP blower. 1" pipe, looped, at 7 1/2' off floor, 260 outlets. No "deep" sponge filters, probably 12-14" down is the most (use bottom-based sponges with risers for 24-30" deep tanks. No issues and just ran 6 40' soft lines to outdoor tubs, still plenty of air. Excessive back pressure is your pump/blower's enemy. Pressure=heat=higher electricity consumption+shorter motor life. Good luck!

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:31 pm

satony wrote:hey dan now if you go to 1.5 or 2" will you be able to pump 75g or 125g tanks? thats what im trying to figure out. Is a way to pump a 75g or 125g tank with my ap- 100. and im currently running 3/4". sorry to steal your thread james but I figured since everyones on the topic I would ask.
I don't know how much juice an AP-100 has but the idea behind a looped system is to make sure you don't have any dead spots and you build volume in the tube. A tank is a tank, depth is the key, if you have enough pressure and volume you should have no trouble running a 125 or 75. I believe Kyle May has the same pump (or very similar), he is running about 50 tanks with plenty of 125/75 gallon deep tanks.

I forgot to mention, you will need to provide for a bleeder valve or outlet to make sure you don't have too much back pressure - as Scott mentioned above. You can control the pressure by opening and closing the relief valve.

satony

Post by satony » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:53 pm

ok I have the loop its just a square. and I have six valves just set open. i think this is enough to bleed my system. I just heard that theres not enough pressure or its too deep to effectively run sponge filters in 75g tanks or higher. with the pump that i have. Ive been killing myself over ways I can change mabe my pipe size. or something. because I prefer sponges over power filters when I have an air sytem already going in the area.

Tilly

Post by Tilly » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:42 pm

Tilly wrote:I am currently running the following:
2 - 125 gallons
6 - 75 gallons
5 - 40 breeders
6 - 10 gallons

I have a jehmco LP60 and used 3/4 pvc. I have had upto 30 tanks running on this setup and never had any issues. It has been running for over 6 years.

Bob
James
Currently running 29 outlets with spare to use on fry tanks.

satony

Post by satony » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:43 am

tilly,

is this a smaller pump than an ap100? and how close to the pipe are your tanks. like are you running 2ft of air hose to your tank or 6ft?

thanks

Jshakour

Post by Jshakour » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:11 pm

I went with 1 inch on my AP-60, I added 25 valves, everything is running great except for a little hum I can hear in my daughters room. ( the pump is below her room in the basement)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-James

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:34 am

Did I notice your ceiling is not finished in the basement? You could easily add some sound proofing unless she likes the subtle hum. :D

Jshakour

Post by Jshakour » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:55 am

She hasnt noticed it yet, she is only 4 years old, but, im fearing my wife will!!!

Ys the ceiling is open, I am going to try a few things and see what happens.
-James

Jshakour

Post by Jshakour » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:00 pm

So I got it much quieter in her room, the source of the vibration was the pvc pipe. I used zip ties to secure the pipe to the joist so they were tight up against them. I backed the screws out a hair so that the pvc was not resting directly on the joist. Most of the sound went away!
-James

ajsubotnik

Post by ajsubotnik » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:35 pm

You can also wrap those pieces that are touching the joists with pipe insulation foam (available at any hardware store), it is super easy to install and works wonders.
What swims in the sea, carries a machine gun, and makes you an offer you can't refuse?

The Codfather

Jshakour

Post by Jshakour » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:01 pm

ajsubotnik wrote:You can also wrap those pieces that are touching the joists with pipe insulation foam (available at any hardware store), it is super easy to install and works wonders.

Great tip... I'll have to give it a try, that way I can tighten the screws back up.
-James

jabones

Post by jabones » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:38 pm

how do you vent the excess pressure, or know if there is excess?

markh

Post by markh » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:17 am

I personally added an extra valve at the end of the loop. I bleed air constantly just to make sure I don't get any back pressure. Has been working great for 2 years now.

Mark
Mark Huntington

nick a

Post by nick a » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:16 am

the source of the vibration was the pvc pipe.
No, the source is the pump. A way to isolate vibration transmitted from the pump to the PVC is to add a length of flexible hose between the pump and the header.

Just being an a$$ :lol: , but where exactly is the 'end of a loop' Mark!

Jshakour

Post by Jshakour » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:49 am

markh wrote:I personally added an extra valve at the end of the loop. I bleed air constantly just to make sure I don't get any back pressure. Has been working great for 2 years now.

Mark

i just have 3 or 4 air line valves open, if I close them, the bubbles increase and get a little violet in the tank.
-James

Jshakour

Post by Jshakour » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:51 am

nick a wrote:
the source of the vibration was the pvc pipe.
No, the source is the pump. A way to isolate vibration transmitted from the pump to the PVC is to add a length of flexible hose between the pump and the header.

interesting point!

Ill give that a try, I did not glue any of the fittings together, for such an event.

By header, do you mean just put a length of hose between the pump and the pvc?
-James

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:05 am

Yes James, you can use a short piece of clear PVC tubing, a foot or so, as a "vibration break".

The reason for the "bleeder" is to maximize the air flow and minimize the back pressure. Back pressure will make your "pump" work harder. When I had a single air pump/blower I liked to use a very large bleeder with a large diameter gate valve for infinite adjustments that I needed for adding and deleting tanks from the system. The larger valve also cuts down on the "air escaping noise". Opening several tank air valves also works but if you need those for a tank or other purpose your bleeders are gone, unless you add bleeder specific tank valves etc etc.....

Kyle May

Post by Kyle May » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:57 pm

If you have a Won Brothers or Aquarium products pump, you will find that they already have thought about the vibration transfer and included a
rubber adapter. While this doesn't entirely remove all of the vibration, it will help. Attaching a hose to the system will further help isolate the pump as a source of
noise, however, any system will have inherent noise due to the air coursing through it.

Try stabilizing the air flow in an effort to affect a consistent flow of pressurized air by attaching a header to the system. This header is typically a larger pipe, 1.5 to 2X the size of the feed pipe, (even larger if you can) and is 3-5" long...and looks sort of like a muffler when installed. This seems to even out the flow through the system maintaining a consistent flow of air and further reducing noise. I use this method and sleep almost directly above my AP-100 which is mounted less than 12" from the ceiling in the basement.

Kyle
Kyle May
Ohio Cichlid Association
Northern Ohio, USA

Jshakour

Post by Jshakour » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:04 pm

yea i need to look into adding the hose and try to cut down on the vibration sound that I can hear in my daughters room. I cut a good deal of it out by putting some "padding" in between the pvc and the joists.
-James

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:55 pm

How is your pipe installed? I used to hang mine from a small hook and some heavy-duty string. That will cut down on vibrations too - especially if your pipe is "hard wired" to floor joists etc...

Return to “General Discussion”