Fish room air pump setup

For all general discussion. Ask your fish keeping or other questions here.

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

Jshakour

Re: Fish room air pump setup

Post by Jshakour » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:09 pm

zip ties.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-James

llkojnjhfy

Post by llkojnjhfy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:10 am

how do you vent the excess pressure, or know if there is excess?

Jshakour

Post by Jshakour » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:38 am

I have a couple of the valves open, Im not really sure if I have to vent or not. But what I have noticed is that when the "vents" are shut...the bubbles coming out of the hydro sponges are more violent even with their valves 1/4 of the way open and the pump itself is noticeably louder.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-James

Kyle May

Post by Kyle May » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:31 pm

Best is to establish a balance between the air velocity you need and the minimum back pressure on the pump.
Too much back pressure will cause the diaphragms to fail prematurely and will also cause the pump to run hot.
Zero back pressure and the pump won't produce enough pressure to push the air through your filters, plus the volume
of air needed to effectively move the water through your filters will be unsufficient.

The trick is to have even pressure throughout the entire system.
This is accomplished by many of us by the use of loops in the air system.
This prevents dead spots at the end of runs and helps the pump to maintain an even pressure throughout the system.
This also allows you to control the overall pressure using some conveniently placed valves at different points on the loop.
These are not valves that you are using as feeder lines to your filters. These valves are for pressure regulation only.

I've successfully regulated pressure in my system using these methods without any sacrifice of pressure or air volume loss.
It takes some adjusting, but I've got the same pressure at the far end of my longest loop as I do in the tanks closest to the pump.
I've got an AP-100 running for three years straight without a rebuild. I was told to rebuild at 1 yr and that at most I could stretch this
to 2 yrs. I think that having a balance and making it as easy as possible on your pump will help its longevity. Do you have a back up pump?
What will you do when the pump you are using fails? Do you have a rebuild kit for the pump that's running your fish room?

A side benefit to balancing your system is that the pump will actually run quieter. A fish room is funner when the racket in the room
is the sound of the air bubbling and not the pump screaming...lol

Kyle

Kyle
Kyle May
Ohio Cichlid Association
Northern Ohio, USA

liamn19

Post by liamn19 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:14 am

Hey,

Thank you guys for sharing the information about air pump setup, it's really helpful for me. :)

Return to “General Discussion”