Royal Pleco with a tumor

For all general discussion. Ask your fish keeping or other questions here.

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

Colton

Royal Pleco with a tumor

Post by Colton » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:28 pm

just seen this today on my Royal pleco its some sort of growth on his tail in 3 different areas anyone know something to treat this with?

Thanks for any help,

Colton
Last edited by Colton on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kyle May

Re: anyone know what this is?

Post by Kyle May » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:39 pm

Looks like a tumor to me.
I don't know why it got the tumor or what is essentially the root cause, but there it is.
Personally, I'd try to remove it, but this is a risk to the fish, especially if the fish is a species that doesn't handle stress well.

Here's exactly what I'd do:

1) Wait. I'd wait to see if it gets bigger.
2) If it does, I'd assume that it will eventually kill the fish, so what have I got to lose by trying to help it?
3) I'd remove it manually by cutting it off with a very sharp scalpel or a brand new Utility Blade that's been
cleaned with alcohol prior to use.
4) I'd have mecurichrome or methiolate handy and apply that as soon as I removed the tumor.
5) I'd then put it in a hospital tank and treat that tank with salt as well as an antibacterial of some kind.
(Note: I'm not a pleco guy, so I'm not sure if a Royal Pleco can handle salt well. You'd be smart to ask one of these
others if the salt treatment is a good idea).
6) I'd make sure the water the Pleco was kept in was pristine.

This is what I'd do. That doesn't mean it will work or that I'm right....I've lost all my knowledge of fish diseases since I left
the Pet business.

Good Luck.

Kyle
Kyle May
Ohio Cichlid Association
Northern Ohio, USA

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:20 pm

I agree with Kyle. Looks nasty, good luck.

Colton

Post by Colton » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:02 am

Thank You Kyle for your input on this, I will have to try to remove it I got this pleco from the auction at the extravaganza and when I took him out of the bag I noticed he had these yellow spots on his tail but now I see that they are not part of his tail I thought it was part of the coloration but now that they have grown in size it is now visible that they are hanging off the tail and the bottom tumor has become pink.

hopefully my next post will be saying he is now doing good and the tumor(s) was removed successfully :)

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:11 am

I noticed something in your picture. Make sure you look at the lower fin ray on the tail before you operate. That might be the blood source for that portion of the tail and the tumor. Make sure you have a Styptic Pencil or powder to stop any heavy bleeding - use it directly on the sight where it is bleeding. It's a product available at any drug store, for people, or pet shop (used while cutting dog and cat nails).

Also keep in mind if it is the blood source it may grow back and you may have to take more of the lower tail off later.

Colton

Post by Colton » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:38 am

I was reading on taking tumors off and all I could find was for goldfish but all the videos show the fish being sedated to reduce stress with Clove oil or fishquel I think was what it was called, should I try clove oil to sedate him so maybe he would not have much stress from it because I can't get the fishquel stuff here because here in Mansfield there is no good fish store to find the stuff local,

I've never sedated a fish or done any type of surgery on a fish so I really appreciate the help from you guys,

Colton

steveh28

Re: Royal Pleco with a tumor

Post by steveh28 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:47 am

I believe the other chemical is finquel. I have never seen it available in a store, however I just searched and see it is available at Dr Foster Smith website for ponds. Just be careful with how much you put in. A little bit can sedate the fish, a little too much can kill the fish. Good luck with him and hope he gets better

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:21 am

You can also use bag buddies, it has a mild sedative and it's very hard to over dose.

If you plan out your actions and execute them as planned quickly you should be okay. There is nothing wrong with a dry (practice) run or two either.

Colton

Post by Colton » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:52 pm

everything went well, the tumor is off and I added a little salt to his tank so hopefully he don't have any further problems.

Jshakour

Post by Jshakour » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:06 pm

Good to hear, please keep us updated!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-James

Return to “General Discussion”