Sexing Frontosa?

For all general discussion. Ask your fish keeping or other questions here.

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

Colton

Sexing Frontosa?

Post by Colton » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:05 pm

I have about 9 Frontosa in my 125.....5 of them are about the same size about 7-9" the other 4 are around 3-5", is there a way to sex the bigger ones without venting them? I don't really want to put them through the stress

and if I have more females that are the smaller ones can you reintroduce them later when they are more similar in size to the bigger Fronts?

Thank you for any help, and I want to thank who ever added the "General Discussion"

Colton

joesfish

Re: Sexing Frontosa?

Post by joesfish » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:18 pm

I would say the only way to tell is venting. Size, hump, shape, and even their actions can full you. Alot depends on each individual colony. I have grown up fry and have female's that where almost the same size as the alpha male and assumed that it was a male and when she started holding I realized I had a female. I think venting is as close as you can get with them spawning right in front of you.

As for adding more females, I wouldn't see a problem adding two more females but you tank is only a 125gal, i assume a 6ft tank. Unless you go to a 8ft I would have anymore than 7 fronts in a 6ft. Plus if you go by the rule of thumb that 20gal of water per a Front then your overstocking. I have a 125 with 7 Moba's in it but they are only 4-10 inches. When they get a little bigger they will have to go into a wider tank like a 180gal. I keep my colonies in 125,150,180 gal tank and I don't have over 7 per a Colony. I like the 2m5f ratio. Hope this has helped you.

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:30 pm

Try this....http://www.fishhead.com/articles/ventsex.htm

Or here http://www.frontosa.com/viewtopic.php?t=1355

Notice how the female vent looks like a oddly shaped "fleshy" area while the male clearly has a V shaped non "fleshy" area.

I've found venting is most accurate.

Colton

Post by Colton » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:29 pm

thanks for the help guys!

right now half of the colony is only around 4 inch and I have had them since they were just about 1",

Thanks Dan for the links I have seen pictures for venting before but they have never really helped but seeing a Frontosa venting picture helps out a lot more then say a Mbuna pic

Colton

Return to “General Discussion”