Woohoo! White Calvus fry!

For all general discussion. Ask your fish keeping or other questions here.

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

Andrew Schock

Woohoo! White Calvus fry!

Post by Andrew Schock » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:21 pm

My F0 White Calvus had been acting suspicious and today I noticed tiny fry in the Female's shell. What is the best strategy for raising the fry? Should I spin them out of the shell into a small tank/breeder box or leave them with the parents for a while? There is just the pair and fry in a 20 long at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Tim Craig

Re: Woohoo! White Calvus fry!

Post by Tim Craig » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:10 pm

Congrats, Andrew!

I've had good results from spinning them out. Once they start to roam, it'll be lots of work to round them up. You'd probably end up having to move the adults. Better to remove the fry. At least that's my thinking.
Tim Craig

jcunningham0295

Post by jcunningham0295 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Contests Andrew on the spawn.

Josh
Josh
Cunningham Cichlids, LLC.
Over 4,900 gallons of quality African Cichlids

Cunningham Cichlids

Andrew Schock

Post by Andrew Schock » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks guys. I just spun them out into a breeder box. 75+ easy. I'll be moving them to their own 20L and eventually a 40B as they grow out, assuming I can keep a decent number alive that long.

Tim Craig

Post by Tim Craig » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:50 am

Andrew Schock wrote:Thanks guys. I just spun them out into a breeder box. 75+ easy. I'll be moving them to their own 20L and eventually a 40B as they grow out, assuming I can keep a decent number alive that long.
Contrary to what I'd read on some forums, I found alto fry to be very hardy and easy to raise. I never had any noticeable losses. I started with microworm and moved to crush NLS 'Grow' pellets as soon as they were able to take it. Give them a few large rocks to hover around, so they're more comfortable. Bare, sterile tanks just aren't necessary IME. Go easy on water changes until they get a little size on them. I don't even vacuum anything off the bottom until I'm sure I won't lose any fry in the process. Just my way that's worked for me.
Tim Craig

Return to “General Discussion”