P. niggripinnis

For all general discussion. Ask your fish keeping or other questions here.

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

dtoth

P. niggripinnis

Post by dtoth » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:38 pm

Curious on what size these guys breed at and any tricks getting them to spawn? Have a grp of 12 three are at 3" and have amazing neon blue stripes and color the rest 2 1/2" with a few starting to show the blue coloring. I have numerous pieces of slate setup vertically with others rocks. They're in a 60g with a royal and green phantom pleco.

Thanks,
Dave
Fishy Dave

Tim Craig

Re: P. niggripinnis

Post by Tim Craig » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:06 am

Yours should be large enough to spawn. or very close to it. Try setting up rocks to form caves instead of using the slate.
This setup worked for me.

The females released in the tank and the fry schooled together in the upper corners. Never had adults prey on them.
Subduing your lighting a bit by going with one daylight and one actinic bulb will bring out the male's color and may make
them more comfortable, as they're a deep water fish. Males hang out in caves or under overhangs.

Any nutritious food should do fine. And of course buffer your water, if needed, to keep the pH up a bit and stable like with any tang.
Tim Craig

dtoth

Re: P. niggripinnis

Post by dtoth » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:03 pm

Thanks Tim, going to try rearranging the rocks and see how that does. I did notice after I subdued the lighting, which I did a few weeks ago, was when the three larger ones color really popped.
Fishy Dave

Return to “General Discussion”