BAP Question

For all general discussion. Ask your fish keeping or other questions here.

Moderators: Jombi21, Hilary, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, IThinkFast

Jshakour

BAP Question

Post by Jshakour » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:53 pm

how do you measure a pleco for BAP? tip of the head to tail or tip of the head to beginning of tail?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-James

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: BAP Question

Post by Dan Woodland » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:25 pm

I apply the same standard as other fish, I use standard length (SL), lips to end of caudal paduncle. Total length (TL) is lips to end of tail, I use standard length because you'll never be short and your customers will be happy because they normally use TL.

LewC

Post by LewC » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:00 am

While SL give a better decription of the fish, and it's what I use when selling fish or describing them at an auction, our BAP rules say 1" TL. I like mine to get at least a little bigger than that before I turn them in, though.

Lew

Jshakour

Post by Jshakour » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:20 am

LewC wrote:While SL give a better decription of the fish, and it's what I use when selling fish or describing them at an auction, our BAP rules say 1" TL. I like mine to get at least a little bigger than that before I turn them in, though.

Lew

ok so here is the exact reasoning behind my question....

I have Long Fin Albino Bushy Nosed pleco to turn in..... so If I use the TL, with them being long finned...... I will wait till they get bigger though. Maybe next month!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-James

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:20 am

Hence why I use SL. That way you can't say a fish is 4 inches long because it has nice fin extensions...

Remember the only reason the rule exists is to protect the buyer and give them a fighting chance to raise and breed the fish as you did. BUT, as you know there are exceptions to every rule - that's why the "number of days" rule applies to fish like shell dwellers that may never get to one inch.
Jshakour wrote:
LewC wrote:While SL give a better decription of the fish, and it's what I use when selling fish or describing them at an auction, our BAP rules say 1" TL. I like mine to get at least a little bigger than that before I turn them in, though.

Lew

ok so here is the exact reasoning behind my question....

I have Long Fin Albino Bushy Nosed pleco to turn in..... so If I use the TL, with them being long finned...... I will wait till they get bigger though. Maybe next month!

DAVE AYRES

Post by DAVE AYRES » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:15 am

I was kinda hoping that no one would bring up the fact that the rules mention total length as acceptable because with long finned varieties you will have more fin than fish. As Dan says the person buying bap fish needs to have a reasonable chance of keeping them alive. M ost members use common sense when turning in their bap fish but there are always a few who like to push the envelope.

I have been thinking about the catfish bap rules forever now and one of the changes that I will propose is that we will use standard length as a size requirement --- no more of what I term " the Cleveland inch"

catmandave - BAP catfish chair.

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:39 am

Well put Dave!!!

Bob Blazek

Post by Bob Blazek » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:09 am

I'm bringing a tape measure this month just to be sure.... :lol: :lol:

See Ya There, Bob

LewC

Post by LewC » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:29 am

I agree, too. I was thinking cichlid BAP; I wasn't sure how the catfish BAP rules read.

(I just read a couple articles about the use of the semicolon; I think I used it correctly.)

(Now I need to find some articles about the use of parentheses.)

Lew

Return to “General Discussion”