Insulating Your Aquarium

For all general discussion. Ask your fish keeping or other questions here.

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

fever

Re: Insulating Your Aquarium

Post by fever » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:08 pm

I'v seen spray foam insulation used on block foundation walls with good results

deeda

Post by deeda » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:11 pm

OK, I finally downloaded my camera pics of the fish room then uploaded to photobucket. Here are some of the construction pics, not many though.

This is a view of the window wall with 2 coats of Drylok applied to seal the block walls, all below grade walls used Drylok -

This is a view of the 1" thick pink Foamular T&G panels installed. The heat run is for the upstairs bedroom. The heat run for this room was installed later.

View of the 2 x 4 stud wall with the flat face against the foam panels. Note that we also used small pieces of foam to insulate the rafter bay ends at the sill plate.

The window wall, framed to allow window trim & sill to be installed properly.

This pic shows how the wiring feed comes down the wall. The gap at the top allows future wiring additions if needed via the rafter bays.

And how we routed the back of the studs to create wiring channels for the Romex -

And finally, the shallow outlet boxes we needed to use since the wall studs are mounted on their flat face rather than the traditional 'on edge'. We didn't need the extra wide box but we weren't sure how we were going to run the circuits.

BTW, when I had the house insulated 10+ years ago, I also had the company blow foam insulation into the block wall cavities so the addition of the pink foam panels just increases the R-factor for the total wall.

Hope this helps explain how we are doing our fish room.
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2019

jcunningham0295

Post by jcunningham0295 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:56 pm

Thank you Dee. I really appreciate you taking the time to share these photos and information with me.

Josh
Josh
Cunningham Cichlids, LLC.
Over 4,900 gallons of quality African Cichlids

Cunningham Cichlids

cupfishhead

Post by cupfishhead » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:26 pm

I have used the foil insulation that is used as a house wrap. Similar to bubble wrap with one side reflective. It increased my temp about 4 degrees when I insulated 3 sides and the bottom with a glass top to reduce evap. Saw this on a pic from the UK and most people do it over there. As for the foam sheeting used to insulate your basement walls, you must watch to ensure that it is not against the wall itself. I had the same thing with paneling over it as the wall was sweating if just layed their and I had a nasty time removing the mold as it went the whole way down the wall. This was in the opposite room where most of my fish are. Go check out all you peers rooms and combine what works. Check out youtube also Ted Judy has a lot of videos about making a fishroom. Good Luck
Native Fishes Rule!!! Go sample some streams near you!!!
Of course Cichlids Rule Too!!!

jcunningham0295

Post by jcunningham0295 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:54 am

cupfishhead wrote: have used the foil insulation that is used as a house wrap. Similar to bubble wrap with one side reflective.
Did you hot glue this directly to your tanks? Also, how do you know which side is the reflective? Both sides look the same to me.
Josh
Cunningham Cichlids, LLC.
Over 4,900 gallons of quality African Cichlids

Cunningham Cichlids

tom evers

Post by tom evers » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:28 pm

i have a four level split and most the 30 tanks i have are on the second level up. Being the cheap skate that i am a good number of the crappy heaters i had broke. I now only have heaters in about 25 percent of my tanks. i have our house set at 70 and all fish seem to be doing great, even some tangs. check back with me in the spring ill let you know how many fish i have left. lol. i guess its now no mystery why i can buy so many bags of fish at the monthly meetings.
Tom
you can never have too many cichlids!

cupfishhead

Post by cupfishhead » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:22 am

Did you hot glue this directly to your tanks? Also, how do you know which side is the reflective? Both sides look the same to me.[/quote]

The stuff I had leftover from a remodel, it was a year or two old and one side was white and the other side was silver reflective, Havent looked at them recently. I have most of the tanks painted so it didnt matter which side, I would think that either side would be ok. It may make your tank a bit brighter since it will reflect but may be distorted by the tank glass anyways. I have tried hot glue and just plain packing taped them. All seem to be ok and last, tape just leaves the residue but if you want to try it for a short time I'd do the tape and if you like it use hot glue as it sets faster is more permanent and is easier to remove. Hope this helps
Native Fishes Rule!!! Go sample some streams near you!!!
Of course Cichlids Rule Too!!!

Return to “General Discussion”