Interesting article...

For all general discussion. Ask your fish keeping or other questions here.

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

Jshakour

Interesting article...

Post by Jshakour » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:38 am

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-James

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Interesting article...

Post by Philippe Burnel » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:43 am

Ten fish that the trade might be better without…

and many others................................

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:43 am

I pretty much agree. Some species simply should not be kept in a tank including a fair number of cichlids. And don't get me started on genetic manipulation.

Kyle May

Post by Kyle May » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:50 pm

Agreed....I like the arguments made for the particular species.
Many species are sold in stores knowing that they have little or no chance for survivall in a home aquarium situation.
..and like Dan said...there are many, many, species of cichlids that should be left in the lakes and rivers from which they came.

Kyle
Kyle May
Ohio Cichlid Association
Northern Ohio, USA

fever

Post by fever » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:19 pm

The idea that the fish would be better left in nature is sound but to say they can't be kept in aquariums is wrong. I have a good friend who keeps several fish on this list quite successfully, (I dont mean the goldfish and guppies) and he will agree they should not be sold .

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:43 am

@ Fever

I 'm keeping a few sailfin plecos, for quite a while now, and although I have little or no problems with them - in fact, I got 2 @ 40 cm or a bit larger in a 4 meters tank - but I still think they should not be offered for sale - being sold only in case someone seeks them

Because this size of tanks is rather unusual. The same goes for the other far too large fishes: one can keep them succesfully, but they do require very large tanks - tanks which are so rare the exception can not make the rule

nasa02

Post by nasa02 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:26 pm

It's unfortunate that some of these fish are sold to people who are either not knowledgeable or don't plan ahead for the larger fish.

I'm keeping an Mbu puffer that is 16" right now, and fortunately I have a near endless supply of clams from my parent's pond to keep his beak trimmed down to a normal size. I also have a 400 gallon aquarium that I can put him in if I keep him when he attains his full adult size. On a side note, I keep these in some of my cichlid tanks, and I occasionally have to move them out of tanks because my cichlids figure out that the clams make a tasty snack!

I'm really surprised pet stores haven't shifted to selling dwarf bristlenose plecos. There isn't a drastic difference in the price, and they don't end up with customers bringing in a 14" pleco they can't house anymore.

Somethingfishyinc.net

Post by Somethingfishyinc.net » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:30 am

my couple cents. Do not include or lump all stores into one group. All stores are not alike as far as independents.
First I'm a lfs & do not or rarely sell regular plecos, Pacus, red tail cats. etc.. I get calls every other day someone wanting to unload above including oscars etc..
I agree & disagree on selling certain fishes etc.. If it was up to me the Pacu would be #1 BUT There is many people out there that have the resources & can house some of these tank busters so totaly banning them is not maybe the right thing to do? Permit or special order only for the few that can keep them?
Most of the time these are sold in the big box store, chains, walmart etc. without someone educating little Johnny that it will out grow the ten gallon tank or goldfish bowl it is going in.
I think the suppliers etc. should be the ones to stop selling to these places and it would make a difference in the end. Not sure how that would work though? Its a money thing.

me Dave

DAVE AYRES

Post by DAVE AYRES » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:26 am

Exactly right Dave, " it's a money thing ", and in the majority of cases money will trump responsibility. Its part of the greed is good mantra and the reason, in my humble opinion,that we are in such a mess financially.

Somethingfishyinc.net

Post by Somethingfishyinc.net » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:58 am

yes, materialistic society & a throw away society. :(

My saying Have common sense & respect and do not have to have a college degree to have them! :D
Plus some self discipline will help.
Even though I'm in the fish business it does seem like at times like a drug dealer. There is always a buyer & a user. lol. Its a addiction. But a more healthy one at that.

dtoth

Post by dtoth » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:30 pm

Little off topic but goes with what Dave was saying as a lot of stores go for the money and how society is a materialistic one. The fact that you now have "tattooed mollies" color dyed tiger barbs, and other fish that are dyed. All because apparently out of the hundreds and hundreds of species to choose from people still want something different. None of these should be allowed to be sold but they are and a lot of people buy them and since a lot of people buy them the fish stores get more of them causing a demand which in turns means more fish get tortured in a sense. It's a terrible cycle.
Fishy Dave

cupfishhead

Post by cupfishhead » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:29 am

While I agree that most of the fish on here should not be sold. I only wish that every store could have reliable and informed associates but lets face it, that just won't happen, especially big box retailers. Our local big box petstores here in here are greatly differnent and may vary where you are from. The petsmart is clean and usually very few dead fish, they sell pangassius and pacu but the manager says he hates them and tries to not allow people to buy them but has no choice in carrying them. The petco in town is always disease ridden with dead fish in the tanks as they carry many saltwater fish like the idol. While I have seen the opposite in other cities so those people hiring need to get educated people working and that would help a lot. On top of that, anyone who has worked in a fish store knows that no matter what you tell people they always know best, (becaue they have had tanks for a long time) whether its right of not. Yes its all about the money and taking them completely off the shelf won't ever happen, we can just wish it will. We can only help educate the people we know from making those mistakes. I wish that they didnt sell tattooed, dyed, hybrids, or genetically altered. Just keep fish natural!!!

Also a friend of mine has a 300gal tank (contemplating a bigger tank too) with ONE pacu in it, which she rescued and believe me he is well taken care of but he is also 27inch and guessing he weighs atleast 40 or 50 lbs. Yes she does have money and can spend it, but most of us don't and won't go to that extent
Native Fishes Rule!!! Go sample some streams near you!!!
Of course Cichlids Rule Too!!!

Return to “General Discussion”