Discussion about cichlids from Madagascar and India
duanest

couple Paretroplus kieneri pics

Post by duanest » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:34 am

Alex Odesit

Re: couple Paretroplus kieneri pics

Post by Alex Odesit » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:06 pm

Love Madagascar Cichlids,
Was really surprise some time ago, went to Coney Island aquarium, Brooklyn, New York, and have seen school of some huge Madagascar cichlids in biotope many thousands litters show tank.
They were definitely over 14". If not mistake it Paretroplus dambabe.

Alex

sidguppy

Post by sidguppy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:53 am

I love these kieneri! it's blueish color is a great contrast to the brown and green, sometimes reddish or orange Malagasy cichlids.
it looks like a Riftlake cichlid.....

Douanest, you breed this species?
"And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it"
Jean-Luc Picard

duanest

Post by duanest » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:44 am

Funny you should ask about breeding, because they spawned last night. Although the eggs appear to be infertile, because they are bright white, and usually the eggs of Paretroplus are pink-red if fertile (I believe).
This is their 2nd spawn, the 1st time the eggs were gone by the next morning.
Most from this spawn was still there this morning, maybe they have a learning curve to get through.

Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:05 pm

White doesn't always mean infertile for Paretroplus, I am sure deRham reports of Lamena laying white eggs which were perfectly viable,
Love the Kieneri by the way - easily my favourite Damba and sadly unavailable in the UK. Keep up the good work.

duanest

Post by duanest » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:25 pm

I won't find out for sure this time, one parent was an outstanding guard, but when it went to eat, the other would swoop down and gobble up as many eggs as possible.

sidguppy

Post by sidguppy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:36 am

ouch

maybe it's all the artificial breeding that causes this.
young from cichlids that have been through natural breeding care are likely to show the same behaviour as their parents, but once people start raising fish artificially the next generation tends to lack the instinct to show breeding care or at least need a lot more time to practice.
perfect example are Angelfish and Discus. most are artificially raised these days and getting a pair of the common varieties to breed the natural way is much harder than it is with rare wildcaught cichlid species.

that's why I just let my Mada's go through the practice period at the moment. all 3 species in the showtank spawn, but I want them to try at least, to do some effort in defending fry.
then and only then I'll put them in a breeder and raise fry once the parents have them at a free swimming stage
cumbersome, but worth the effort in my opinion.

are the kieneri in a speciestank? because if they are, you can let them practice breeding as many times as they like.

you could have bad luck though. sometimes a pair just doesn't work well together and one of them keeps feeding on the eggs. it happens. but usually substrate brooders need to loose a few batches to get it down pat.
"And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it"
Jean-Luc Picard

duanest

Post by duanest » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:57 am

I am not a fan of artificial breeding either.
The kieneri are in a 150 gal community tank with some Central Americans and some young dambabe. This is their 3rd spawn and I may try a species tank for the next spawn.
The commune tank is a little crazy because beside the 'now gone' kieneri spawn, there are a pair of Paratheraps breidori successfully guarding fry (so far) and taking over at least 1/3 of the tank in the process.

Return to “Madagascar Cichlids”