Katria katria spawn!

Discussion about cichlids from Madagascar and India
Vincent Fu

Katria katria spawn!

Post by Vincent Fu » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:03 pm

Thanks to the remarks about high temperatures in this thread

http://acaforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2511

I finally got a spawn from my Katria katria.
IMG_9599_800x600.jpg
IMG_9598_800x600.jpg
IMG_9596_800x600.jpg
This is actually the third spawn I've gotten. The first one was July 2007, likely during a hot spell that we had. I had their heater set at 75 and actually turned it down to the low 70s to save electricity over the winter. During all this time I kept wondering why they did not spawn again. The remarks about high temperatures in the earlier thread led me to raise the tank temperature to 80 and voila! The first spawn was a couple weeks ago and I saw only a few eggs because they presumably were on a driftwood piece facing the back of the tank. I did catch a glimpse of some newly free swimming fry from that spawn a few days ago, though. Since that time, the male began spawning preparations with the female in the photo and they did the deed yesterday and were kind enough to spawn in a location viewable from the front glass.

Edit: changed photos from links to attachments
Last edited by Vincent Fu on Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Williams

Re: Katria katria spawn!

Post by Tom Williams » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:51 am

Congratulations Vince, this fish is all too rarely bred. Hopefully you can distribute some of these interesting species to other hobbyists. I hope the parents behave.

Vincent Fu

Post by Vincent Fu » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:26 pm

I have 1 male, 2 female, and 1 probable female katria in a 72x18x23 125 gallon tank with 4 Ptychochromis grandidieri East Coast Gold. The ECG and probable female katria are confined to the right third of the tank by the male katria. The other female katria spends most of her time near the spawning site acting as if she is guarding fry from her own spawn, although I no longer see any remaining. The spawning katria are definitely territorial but are not doing any sustained damage to their tankmates.

Nuchal Man

Post by Nuchal Man » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:18 am

Beautiful fish. I just picked some 2 inch Katria up at ACA from a friend of mine, and hopefully I will have the same success you did. I can't wait until they start showing breeding behavior. What size were the fish when they first spawned?

Vincent Fu

Post by Vincent Fu » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:51 pm

Unfortunately, I didn't take any real measurements when they spawned. The male was good sized when I got him, probably 4" including the tail. The females were less massive, but I think they were both at least 4-5" including the tail when they spawned.

Good luck with yours.

I got another spawn a few days ago but I think it did not yield any fry.

Nuchal Man

Post by Nuchal Man » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:01 pm

Thanks for the advice Vincent. I left for California a few nights ago and they had their tubes down. I came home last night and they had spawned. Cranking the temperature to 80-82 did it. Here are some pics.

Sam

Vincent Fu

Post by Vincent Fu » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:25 am

Congratulations!

Return to “Madagascar Cichlids”