Paratilapia Bleekeri Juvenile Question

Discussion about cichlids from Madagascar and India
Rich Kastor

Paratilapia Bleekeri Juvenile Question

Post by Rich Kastor » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:12 am

I have group of 6 juvenile bleekeri which are just hitting the 2" mark. There are three which are darker in color and definitely more aggressive than their siblings. Saying that, Is it still too early to determine whether they are male or female? Their aggression towards each other has a few staying at the top of tank. They are currently in a 65 gallon with plenty of hiding spots. This is first time keeping bleekeri and I have read up on them. My main questions are: How long do I keep the group together? Is there any way @ this age to be sure of gender? I don't want assume that the darker, more aggressive bleekeri are male and pull fish prematurely. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rich

This is one of the links that I have read: http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/aq ... lleni.html

Tom Williams

Re: Paratilapia Bleekeri Juvenile Question

Post by Tom Williams » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:41 am

Sounds like you are doing everything right to me. The darker individuals could be males although females can become dominant and it can be hard to tell at 2 inches. At this length the smaller fish will possibly be females and larger ones males but let them grow anpther inch or so to be sure. In a tank of your size you should be able to keep 6 until they are about 4-6 inches. At this size separate a pair and add some target fish or large danios / silver dollars. Other Paratilapia wuill be done for so are not such good tank mates in a tank fo your size.

BTW you fish are not Paratilapia Bleekeri this species is not in the hobby and extremely endangered in the hobby. Likely you have Paratilapia sp Fianarantsoa green or if you are in Europe Paratilapia sp Andapa.

Good luck

tom
:)

Rich Kastor

Post by Rich Kastor » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:00 am

"BTW you fish are not Paratilapia Bleekeri this species is not in the hobby and extremely endangered in the hobby. Likely you have Paratilapia sp Fianarantsoa green or if you are in Europe Paratilapia sp Andapa."

Thanks for your reply. Since I'm in the states then Fianarantsoa would be correct. So many names for one fish. I was going by the name they were sold to me as. I'll keep doing my research. Rich

Michael.NEGRINI

Post by Michael.NEGRINI » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:13 pm

Hello,

if you are in the U.S., maybe you've got Paratilapia cf. bleekeri "Marolambo". Are your fishes coming from Old World Exotic Fish ?
They might be the same as these : http://madagroup.francecichlid.com/arti ... =fr&pg=142

Michael
Best regards, Michael
___
http://madagroup.francecichlid.com/

Return to “Madagascar Cichlids”