Paretroplus Damii

Discussion about cichlids from Madagascar and India
Tom Williams

Paretroplus Damii

Post by Tom Williams » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:38 am

I have been keeping a beautiful pair of Paretroplus Damii from the West of the Amber Mountain (locally called dridrimena) for a number of years with not much success. Bearing this in mind some friends and I decided to swap the fish around. Next I placed them in my new indoor 'pond' with some central Americans. About a week later the female went like this.
SD530023.jpg
This is very definately spawning colouration. The male is exhiobiting the same colours and is about twice the size of the female. He is very amusingly following her around like a love sick puppy as she 'flashes' him with her belly. I really hope that a spawning occurs as these fish are all too rare in captivity.

This is the male in his old home (sorry for the quality of the pictures) shoqwing 'normal' colouration. He is about 8-9 inches Standard Length.
damii9.jpg
tom.
Last edited by Juan Artigas on Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add link as attachment

ciclasoman

Re: Paretroplus Damii

Post by ciclasoman » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:51 pm

Hi Tom:
wonderfull pictures !!!!! You know this fish is not available in the US- it has long been in my wish list since I first saw pictures that George Reclos posted a while ago. The other fish I would love to get my hands on is the Ptychochromis insolitus (mangarahara) but this fish is not available either. I have been rotating tanks with my menarambo, just like you describe, in a regular basis (4-6 months) to induce spawning and it works 100% of the time. Usually spawning in the new tank takes place within the month. With this strategy I am managing about 300 fry of various ages. I really wish you luck with this beatiful fish, I only wish I could get my hands on a few specimens.
Thanks for the pics.
Saludos
Jose

duanest

Post by duanest » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:21 pm

I've also been searching for those, they look incredible. After reading this I've just tried the same thing with my menerambo, had been keeping them in a species tank and they'd spawn once or twice a year but fry. Thanks for the tip.

ciclasoman

Post by ciclasoman » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:16 pm

Nice fish, good luck with the fry- I usually take the eggs for incubation- though somewhat labor intesive (about 3 days of daily treatment with malachite green/formalin). Hope things go well- most people I know believe these fish to be very seasonal which is the case in the natural environment but with a few manipulations such as temp control and environment changes, a few spawns may be produced on a regular 6 week schedule.
Saludos
Jose

Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:05 pm

Just thought that I would update on my progress with these fish. They were in a 9 foot tank but sadly the base plate broke. Now i have them on their own in a 65g 5 foot tank, well aquascaped. The largest male is about 9 inches the smallest a female is about 6 inches. This is their final home and my final attempt to breed them. The water is at 86of and filtered by 1 internal and 1 external filter. I am just keeping my fingers crossed!!! Wish me luck

ciclasoman

Post by ciclasoman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:37 am

Hi Tom:
seems we often come full circle in this hobby of ours, at least I have, there are times when I have felt out of energy to keep going. I hope we could get your fish to reproduce...it's sometimes hard to get the right conditions for all kind of reasons, please let me know if there is anything I could do to help. This fish, while not in danger of immediate extinction, their coloration make them a gorgeous and worthwhile addition to any conservation effort. I want to make a trip to Manchester to visit George Reclos and Richard Robinson to take and pick-up some fish from them but I am not sure when this will happen, I need to get a few things in order, such as a passport. Till then, please keep hope going.
Best wishes
Jose
ciclasoman@yahoo.com

sidguppy

Post by sidguppy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:22 am

are they in a speciestank now or are the pix from the tank that broke, with the oscar?

maybe you should try to keep them just by themselves without any other fish, and that's including pleco's or something

what are the waterparameters?
maybe you can change those, for example slowly raise the pH till it's about 7,8-8 and the hardiness to 10-15?

I've just started keeping mada's myzelf, but in the past i've had great success with this
also more frequent waterchanges and perhaps a change in diet might help?

Ad Konings famous shrimpmix is a great food to get fish into spawning condition. other typical conditioning foods wich should only be fed in small amounts and not on a regular base are black mosquitolarvae, blackworms, gammarus or maybe even small aquatic insects. AFAIk many Madagascar fishes (esp Paretroplus) have a fondness for snails
have you tried feeding snails?

perhaps some friendly neighborhood ffellow fishkeeper is up to his eyebrows in trumpetsnails and desperate to get rid of them.
dump in a load of these?

good luck with the damii; they're one of those species wich aren't available at all here in Europe with the possible exception of France.
"And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it"
Jean-Luc Picard

Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:13 pm

Hi there,

First I must say Damii are in the UK I have some and George Reclos has some.
Withregards to their tank, the ph is 7.7 the water 86 degrees. They are fed on a rotation with string beans, frozen krill, mussel, and spirulina flake. This seems to suit them fine.
As of today aggression levels have increased and there seems to be <fingers crossed> some displaying between 2 equal size fish who also seem to be spending a lot of time together. We shall see...

Return to “Madagascar Cichlids”