Ptychochromis Oligacanthus spawn

Discussion about cichlids from Madagascar and India
Tom Williams

Ptychochromis Oligacanthus spawn

Post by Tom Williams » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:52 am

My Lac Bembazava Olis spawned 2 days ago. i have removed the eggs for artificial hatching. The alpha male is now courting another female who judging from her ovispoitor should spawn today. If this occurs, as it is her first spawning, the eggs will remain to be naturally guarded (i am not a huge fan of artificial rearing but with such rare fish etc...) by the pair. The male is radiant in silver with red fins. All the balck markings have disappeared bar his gill plate spots. Both females on the other hand are jet black. They almost look like 2 different species.

Vincent Fu

Re: Ptychochromis Oligacanthus spawn

Post by Vincent Fu » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:36 am

Congratulations!

Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:55 am

We now have about 300 wrigglers doing their thing.
a few photos of the eggs and parents.

Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:28 am

the wrigglers

dad displaying with a different female adn 'Nemo' my spare Grandidieri being nosey.

Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:22 am

Just to report that I have had my first spawning from the pair above's offspring. The female is barely 2 inches and I crossed her back to her Uncle who is about 5 inches to try and get some genetic differnece in a tiny gene pool. She has deposited around 300 hundred eggs which I have decided to remove for artificial incubation. I also have some Mananjeba Ptychochromis Oligacanthus but these refuse to breed.
Last edited by Tom Williams on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael.NEGRINI

Post by Michael.NEGRINI » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:31 pm

Congratulations Tom ! I hope you'll manage to raise the fry ;)

Mangarahara Ptychochromis is Ptychochromis insolitus, they are still very rare, I hope you will get a spawn soon.
Best regards, Michael
___
http://madagroup.francecichlid.com/

Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:31 am

I meant Mananjeba! I have corrected my post.

dogofwar

Post by dogofwar » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:52 am

Hi Tom,

What are you feeding the fry?

I've had several successful spawns of these guys (where I've left the eggs / fry with the parents) and at least twice the babies disappeared 1-2 weeks after hatching.

I don't know whether the parents are eating the fry or whether they're not getting enough or the right foods. I've been feeding the same stuff that I use for other cichlid fry (frozen baby brine, rotifers, powdered flake, etc.).

Thanks!

Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:27 am

I use a brand called ZM200 made from brineshrimp and they feed ravenously on this and grow quickly (although their rate of growth is very slow compared to other cichlids). I find that most MAda cichlids are notorius egg and fry eaters in captivity, and I reckon that this is happening for you, try removing some of the fry for artificial raising and you may have more success. The longest I have had parents guarding is for about 1 week post free swimming when I have left them to brood naturaqlly; I think that this is something which we just have to put up with.

dogofwar

Post by dogofwar » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Thanks! The fry (and parents) seem to be ravenously eating, so I'd bet that they're eating the babies.

... and that's about how long the fry are lasting with the parents. I'll artificially raise some of the fry next time.

Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:51 am

Good luck with the next spawning!
I am down to about 50 young but our tap water is very poor at the moment, I think I am going to lose this batch :( I'll keep things posted.

Return to “Madagascar Cichlids”