Cichlid tank 1 (changes)

By Lee Nuttal (Nutty)
Lee Nuttall

Cichlid tank 1 (changes)

Post by Lee Nuttall » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:29 pm

Here we go again, lol.

I'm going to have a little sort out of tank 1, as already mentioned i'm moving the large male argentea (very hard decision) :( and synspilus. I've decided to add a small group of Paratheraps bifasciatus (from the Conkel order) to the tank, hopefully to get a pair. I'm really impressed how my female bifasciatus is developing. Vieja heterospila pair are staying, aswell as the pearsei for the time being.

The aquascape of the tank is going to have a little overhaul too. As you can see from the photo, i'm going to rearrange the branches, but i need to collect a few more to finish off. I've started to re-arrange part of it, but also need to add a few more rocks for my planned aquascape. I will update over the coming weeks.

This is one of my Paratheraps bifasciatus (Rio Tapajilapa), will be adding a few more (same source).

These guys are starting to display to eachother again. I'm going to alter the display to cater more for them, they need secluded areas.

The heterospila pair can't seem to settle, eggs are eaten a day after being deposited, too much confrontation with the argentea i believe is a factor.

Lee Nuttall

Re: Cichlid tank 1 (changes)

Post by Lee Nuttall » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:53 pm

Just an update of the T. pasionis group. Unfortunatley no spawnings to report, but bonding behaviour with both pairs seem good. Both sides of the tank are occupied by each pair, then gill flaring and territory behaviour is witnessed when both parties meet. The one pair isn't phased with the size and power of Vieja argentea and defending their patch dosen't appear to pose any problems. All good signs to show the pair are strongly bonded.

Photos illustrating when both pairs meet. This behaviour has been witnessed for quite sometime now.

Its not going to be possible for me to move them in a dedicated breeding tank, but i think with a bit of time and some re-arranging of the decor, they could possibly spawn. Maybe constructing cave like territories, they could be persuaded?? The one pair seemed to be displaying alot to eachother today, fingers crossed. ;)

Lee.

Lee Nuttall

Post by Lee Nuttall » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:31 pm

Back to the tank development.

I collected some wood last weekend to add to the tank, this is from an old oak tree lying on its side in a field. Wood is extremely dry and weathered which is ideal. Sometimes collecting in damp cold autum days, you can get a lot of fungi growth, which can be a pain to clean off. I find this a cheap alternative than buying the rubbish over priced small pieces that are found in a lfs. I think this shape of wood looks a lot more natural aswell.

Tools needed is a hard scrubbing brush and a knife to remove stubbon bark. Wood is thrown into a bath with very hot water and left to soak. The very hot water and short soaking period will hopefully get rid of any insects, eggs or possible fungi spores that are in the wood. Wood is scrubbed hard to remove algae growths , also loose bark will come off. If the bark is stubbon, use the knife to shave it off.

A photo of the wood before it was prepared. You can see bark and algae growths on the wood. The largest piece is around 5ft in length.

Second photo, shows all the prepared wood. Algae and bark has been removed. The wood will have a blast with a jet gun and then left to dry in the sun. After, wood is stored in a dry place until ready to use. Some people soak the wood to release tannis and help to sink, but this is all totally optional. If setting up a new tank, its a good idea to add and secure the wood before filling with water.

Now to clean the muck and scum from the bath before the wife gets home.;)

Lee Nuttall

Post by Lee Nuttall » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:37 am

Wood is finally added to my Rio Usumancinta themed tank. A little tannis will be present for a time, but will be cleared up with plenty of water changes. The wood will not make a dent on my hard water chemistry. 8)

My little slice of Mexico. 8)

A short video. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkpgNBGa31w

Lee.

Lee Nuttall

Post by Lee Nuttall » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:40 am

Even Guatemala i should quote!! :lol: 8)

Return to “Cichlid show tanks”