Lago Nicaragua Nigrofasciatum

by Paul Veenvliet
cavanaugh

Lago Nicaragua Nigrofasciatum

Post by cavanaugh » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:11 pm

Hello all,
Long story short, I've kept and bred cichlids for almost 20 years and never worked with striped convicts. I know... wierd. Anyways, I picked up a breeding pair from a local fish store to help trigger breeding with a stubborn pair of Hericthys "turquoise". It was more like saveing them as they were cowering in a corner from some midas and flowerhorns. Amazing how they were still bonded. I got hooked on this cool species and seeing them on the net, I'm curious about the species from Lago Nicaragua and how colorful they are. If anyone has any pictures or information on this particicular species please chime in.
Thank you, James

dogofwar

Re: Lago Nicaragua Nigrofasciatum

Post by dogofwar » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:24 pm

I have a wild pair as well as (obviously :) ) their offspring...some of whom are now breeding size.

The females of the Lago Nicaragua variety are exceptionally red in the belly...while the males are a slate gray with blue in the gills. My male is pushing 5"...which is big for a "wild convict". My biggest female is just under 3".

Someone told me that they're technically A. siquia.

I also have A. sp "Honduran Red Point" (Rio Monga) as well as A. nigro "Rio Choluteca" and A. siqui "Rio Claro" red fin. Each fish is "different" and amazing...which is why they get so much space in my fishroom!

cavanaugh

Re: Lago Nicaragua Nigrofasciatum

Post by cavanaugh » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:32 pm

Thanks for the info. Any chance you have pictures of them.

Return to “Back to convicts”