Prologue: Back to convicts

by Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

Prologue: Back to convicts

Post by illustrator » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:09 am

... Original message copied from the subject: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4761 ...

Can't resist to add mine:

At the moment of photographing this female was less than a year old (that's half a year ago). She is semi-wild-caught, that is, I caught her as a small juvenile at a thermal spring in Austria (Europe), where there's a feral population. Aquariumkeepers have released numerous fish species (and plants) here, and at least four fish species reproduce in the stream (besides cons: Hemichromis guttatus, Ancistrus "sp.3" and platy/swordtail hybrids).

I keep this con in a very small aquarium (60 cm), simply because I don't have anything better. This went OK for a long time, but lately she became very shy and developed infections on the fins. I figured this is stress related so I tried what happened when I gave her a male companion (a half-grown white con from the shop - which was the only acceptable looking one I could get locally). They quickly spawned, but then the female chased the male away from the eggs. After the young swam free the female became so defensive that I had to first separate the "pair" with a grid and later put the male away altogether. The fin-infections have disappeared, but tips of the fins are now damaged by the male (through the grid). The lesson (which I knew in advance) is that 60 cm is realy not enough space for convicts.

But the story continues: by now the reconstruction of my house is as good as finished and I just ordered a "real aquarium" of 120 cm. Convicts will be the main inhabitants. I still have the female who is currently guarding about 20 of her offspring. She turned out to be heterozygous, so part of the offspring is normal coloured and part is white. I am thinking about aquarium decoration and all other steps that - hopefully, lead to a nice aquarium. So, if you like, I can make a kind of "photo-documentary" about setting up my new convict-aquarium in this topic.

(p.s. I have had convicts before, also in better circumstances 8) )
Last edited by illustrator on Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: Common, yet beautiful

Post by Lisachromis » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:36 am

That's a neat story. If you'd like a blog to continue the story, we can set it up for you.

illustrator

Re: Common, yet beautiful

Post by illustrator » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:18 pm

Good plan. You can give it the title: Back to convicts, referring to the fact that this is the species that for most of us was the start of a lifelong addition, and to the fact that I got them again after many years of not keeping cichlids :lol:

Return to “Back to convicts”