12. What happened to my cichlid aquarium?

by Paul Veenvliet
illustrator

12. What happened to my cichlid aquarium?

Post by illustrator » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:27 am

Well, it looks like this now:
aquarium.jpg
aquarium.jpg (154.11 KiB) Viewed 2623 times
And it's dedicated to Goodeids and Cryptocoryne:
Ameca.jpg
Ameca.jpg (15.5 KiB) Viewed 2623 times
Xenotoca.jpg
Xenotoca.jpg (13.47 KiB) Viewed 2623 times
Characodon+teeth.jpg
Characodon+teeth.jpg (12.68 KiB) Viewed 2623 times
affinis.jpg
affinis.jpg (142.28 KiB) Viewed 2623 times

I am still highly interested in cichlids, but decided to contribute to "aquarium conservation" with these guys in stead.

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Re: 12. What happened to my cichlid aquarium?

Post by Piotr Koba » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:37 pm

It looks natural! Really, very good looking tank. Even if there are no cichlids :lol:
Cheers
Piotr

illustrator

Re: 12. What happened to my cichlid aquarium?

Post by illustrator » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:31 am

I think that it could still look better with fewer species of plants and larger clumps of the same species. There are now 14 species and varieties of Cryptocoryne in this aquarium. I put in so many because it's fun collecting many, to test many in my tap/spring water and to increase my experience with growing them. Now I am at the stage where I gradually remove those that do not do well.

(the small ones don't do well in this aquarium so they are already gone: C. parva and C. x. willisii. C. becketii will go. I am not sure about C. walkeri. One wwendtii variety grows poorly and will go to a jar to try growing it emersed. I am crazy about C. affinis, for which I have been searching for more than 2 decades. But now I got 2 similar varieties which both do well so one of them will go to another aquarium in some weeks. The other will then be allowed to cover much of the fore- and midground. In the background the tall ones will stay: balansae, cilliata, spiralis & wendtii red Lucanas. On the "hanging balcony" in the background I will keep growing another wendtii, this should gradually replace moss here. Still many species :-) )

Return to “Back to convicts”