Thank you

By Alex Calder
Alex Calder

Thank you

Post by Alex Calder » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:54 pm

Let me thank Juan for allowing the posting of so many ID threads and let me thank all of you who have taken the time to respond to the bombardment. The quality of information stored in this project is far more important to myself and those involved than the quantity. You are all assisting the project immensely. You should not be afraid of hurting my feelings, be blunt. My place in the hobby is taking pictures, knowing water chemistry and providing a friendly place for people to learn. I hope that along the way I myself can learn more about the fish which I love so much.

Alex

Alex Calder

Re: Thank you

Post by Alex Calder » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:14 am

After a talk with several of you I realized that I have never really laid down the features of the software Muchael and I have written. One such feature is the ability of editors to add synonyms/aliases to each profile. The profiles are stored by genus|species|location with genus and species being required. Now the synonym feature can allow a person to add Metriaclima estherae as a synonym to Maylandia estherae. When one does this both will show up in any searches performed, with Metriaclima estherae being titled as a synonym to Maylandia estherae. The same could be done with trade names. This kind of muddies the waters for me but could be useful to the end user who wants to know what their fish really is. Another little feature that goes unnoticed is that when a user mouses over a scientific name in the search results the common/trade names are displayed. See the attached image for an example of both.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg

Colby Dixon

Re: Thank you

Post by Colby Dixon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:42 pm

Yes, Thank you very much to everyone who replied and of course for Juan for cultivating this wonderful gathering place where information on Cichlids can be shared. :D
I'm not an aquatic biologist...I just play one on the internet.
-CD-AKA-Seedy

Return to “Cichlidbase”