It's been a while

By Alex Calder
Alex Calder

It's been a while

Post by Alex Calder » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:14 pm

Well folks I have been very busy with work and as a result development lapsed.
My partner in crime and I are back at it in the wee hours trying to finish the latest update.

The latest update will include (Version 2.1):
A rewrite of the Ajax library to solve some Internet Explorer issues and reduce the amount of code. (Technically done, code was reduced from 40kb to 20 kb)
Several timeout related issues in the image manager for users on wireless networks as well as a couple other issues.
Finish writing the module that will allow users to edit specific profiles on request and approval.
Adding a module to allow authors to add synonyms. ie Make Metriaclima point to Maylandia where appropriate.
Incorporate synonyms into profiles and into the page headers for better results from search engines.
Further tweak the SEO portions of the pages, a little tweaking should result in near top of first page results.

Hopes for version 2.2:
Add a function to the image manager that allows for overlaying a copyright during the image storing process.
The idea would be to use either the GD library or Image magic to insert text provided by the author into an image.
This is not too far a stretch considering we are already using a library to create thumbnails on the fly.

Ajax library update to trap the browsers back and forward buttons to shift within the application.

A completed list of the South American regions, also ties into the future map project.

Also being considered is an image protection scheme, however this is almost moot as there is currently no way
to truly protect images at this point in time.

Alex Calder

Re: It's been a while

Post by Alex Calder » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:17 am

Today has become a bug fixing day.
So far I have repaired the search function.

Alex Calder

Post by Alex Calder » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:33 pm

The profile live state bug was rooted out and fixed, this resulted in profiles being hidden from administrators.

One of the goals of the Cichlidbase was to allow for easy reassignment of genus and/or species for a profile.
One of my Administrators discovered that the code to shift the images was not behaving correctly.
This issue was fixed today, this is primarily a back end function.

Null values for certain fields were added. The bug was that if an author/editor did not set the continent it would default to Africa.
This resulted in some Americans being listed in a search for Africa.

Goals for the next version:

Include member editing function where regular members can request access to a specific species and it can be granted.

Improved image upload function for the image manager, the current one has issues and will be scrapped. This for uploading from one's computer as opposed to the online image form.

implementing gd lib for faster image processing and user water marking function. At present the server grabs images in a few seconds, but the resizing and thumb nailing code takes longer than I like.

Synonym manager so authors can add defunct names and sub genera etc. This is intended to improve the search function for all manner of user.

Alex Calder

Post by Alex Calder » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:27 pm

All bugs in the current public release(2.0.5) have been fixed.
I am due to write documentation, I will update this thread with a link when I have.

Return to “Cichlidbase”