Help needed testing

By Alex Calder
Alex Calder

Help needed testing

Post by Alex Calder » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:40 pm

We are nearing completion of the latest version of the Cichlidbase and need some assistance finding the issues.
No experience is necessary and all are welcome. For the security of my server I do prefer passing the location of the test via PM.
This is an entirely open version of the software.

I am looking for bugs/errors, appearance suggestions and anything else you feel like sharing.

Thank you,
Alex

Alex Calder

Re: Help needed testing

Post by Alex Calder » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:27 pm

Thank you Evan for your bug report.
Both issues have been rectified.

While Evan is of the more technical nature I could really use all varieties of testers.
One need not be a web designer or analyst, this is an extremely complicated application on so many levels.

Just last night it was discovered that we had a mistake in our synonyms table.
A tester noticed that Pelmatochromis is being referenced as valid in instances when Pelvicachromis should be the reference.

This is an instance of the more the merrier. In addition to finding bugs or making suggestions I am also tracking the affects on server load to ferret out points that need optimization. Please remember that while I will be trying to generate advertising revenue this tool will be free to the end user with no obligation to join my own forum.

One note, in order to edit information within the CB one must pass authentication.
Typically this is handled by the forum software. There are instances where I will make exceptions, however for security reasons these exceptions will be handled in private. I am sure every one can appreciate free access to reading information and tight security around writing it. I have no interest in being the victim of some 13 year old potty humor, or worse.

Alex Calder

Post by Alex Calder » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:50 pm

Update:

Late last night we locked down CB1 in preparation for the conversion to CB 2.0.
This conversion will be completed carefully over the next couple days.
A lot of the database structure has changed between the version o we will be taking great care.
The developer version is still open for testing and we will always be glad to have feedback from
major to minor issues.

Several people have expressed interest in helping out with both images and information.
I would like to open a discussion on how best to accomplish this. So please feel free to give me
feedback. This is not about competition this is about education, quality of information and user
accessibility.

Alex - Lead programmer and designer of the Cichlidbase.
(Not to sell my co-conspirator who is an apt programmer and database guru Michael)

Alex Calder

Post by Alex Calder » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:27 am

Update:
We are currently working out the bugs in our system for allowing members access to individual profiles.
This would be an excellent time for information regarding people interested in a back door to the cichlidbase.

Return to “Cichlidbase”