Asia

By Alex Calder
Alex Calder

Asia

Post by Alex Calder » Sat May 03, 2008 12:20 pm

Just need a little clarification. I have the following two regions for India, is this accurate or can I do better?
If I can do better please clarify.

South Karnataka, India
India and Sri Lanka

Darrell Ullisch

Re: Asia

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Sat May 03, 2008 12:36 pm

You seem to have left out the Middle East. Iranocichla hormuzensis is just now entering the hobby, but from what I've heard, it will establish in a short time, as it does not appear to be that difficult to breed and raise. There are also native Cichlids in other parts of the Middle East, around Galilee, and it has been known in the hobby on occasion.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Alex Calder

Post by Alex Calder » Sat May 03, 2008 1:43 pm

Would you approach this by having a separate middle east choice or by adding it to Asia?

Darrell Ullisch

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Sat May 03, 2008 2:09 pm

Well, since the current Geography places both India and the Middle East as part of Asia, I would add that as a region of Asia. Not sure that I would bother to split India into more than one region.

The reasoning is that the Middle Eastern species are closer to more recent African genera, where the Indian species are from a lineage similar to the Madagascar fauna. However, you will find that If you take a look at the Geological history of India, it carried primitive Cichlids when it broke off from Gondwanaland, much as Madagascar did. Geologically, India really isn't a part of Asia, but a chunk of Africa that split off and crashed into it!
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Return to “Cichlidbase”