New Fish help Please

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Victoria

Moderator: Greg Steeves

cupfishhead

New Fish help Please

Post by cupfishhead » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:13 am

I just got some plantatenoides sp "red tail" from the OCA auction and just wanted some more info about them. I was told that they were a Victorian shell dweller. Any info would help, link or your advice. Thanks
Native Fishes Rule!!! Go sample some streams near you!!!
Of course Cichlids Rule Too!!!

Michael Oliver
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: New Fish help Please

Post by Michael Oliver » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:23 pm

It sounds as if the donor at the auction was trying to refer to the genus Platytaeniodus: http://www.cichlidae.com/gallery.php?ge ... ytaeniodus. Platytaeniodus "red tail sheller" should be your fish; this apparently undescribed species is illustrated here: http://www.cichlidae.com/gallery/species.php?s=2046.

Note that this cichlid is not a shell-dweller, but a sheller -- that is, with its specialized jaws and teeth, it is suspected of shelling snails (removing the snails from their shells, either by prying the animal from the shell or by crushing the shell with the jaws before swallowing) to eat them.
Michael K. Oliver, Ph.D.

Nuchal Man

Post by Nuchal Man » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:52 pm

Very cool and pretty fish. I had a group not to long ago. Easy top breed and keep, and in my opinion, very peaceful. They're not very prolific though. They spawn regularly, but out of 8 spawns the most fry I ever got was 9. They will feed on in tank snail populations. It's an awesome fish. You will enjoy them.

dbrummitt

Post by dbrummitt » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:07 pm

If they were the fry, they were mine. Very nice fish, bright blue body and red tail and dorsal fine. My group consisted of 4 males and 2 females without any aggression issues and produced about 20 fry at a time. Let me know how they do. Dustin B.
Fish and Disc Golf, what else do I need?

cupfishhead

Post by cupfishhead » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:27 am

Thanks so much guys. Yes thats the fish. As I went down to feed yesterday I did see one sucking on a physa acuta shell. They are starting to get some light red on their fins. What kind of food were you feeding them. I have them in with a guppy fry tank with a bunch or plants, I fed them some whiteworms and they went crazy, I keep snails in all my tanks, Not sure how big they get but I will have to keep reloading that tank with more physa. Any spawning triggers, thanks again.
Native Fishes Rule!!! Go sample some streams near you!!!
Of course Cichlids Rule Too!!!

Return to “Lake Victoria Cichlids”