Xystichomis sp. 'Kyoga Flameback'

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Victoria

Moderator: Greg Steeves

witamygreatdanes

Xystichomis sp. 'Kyoga Flameback'

Post by witamygreatdanes » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:56 pm

I have a question (of course) about the X. sp. 'Kyoga Flameback' This question is in regard to the color of the pelvic fins. Do both male and female have the black pelvic fins? For instance, if I had five of the flamebacks and I was unsure of the sexes, would the pelvic fins be of any help determining the sexes? Also, do the males ALWAYS color up? Or could you have a male that was maybe a very little bit red and black plevic fins, but brownish everywhere else. I do have five flamebacks and only 1 of them is solid brown/gold color with the same color pelvic fins.... Or could that be just be a younger fish that has not developed color yet? Will females have "any" red color at all, or would those be males that are subdominant.

Thanks for the help!

Kathy
Last edited by witamygreatdanes on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JasonS

Re: Xystichomis sp. 'Kyoga Flameback'

Post by JasonS » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:31 pm

Females of this species will typically not have black pelvic fins. Not all males will color; sub-dominant males often will show minimal color and could be mistaken for females, especially when they are smaller/younger. All the females I kept of this species never developed any red color but it is not extraordinary for small amounts or red color to be seen on females of some Lake Victoria species; more often than not those showing less bright coloration will be sub-dominant males.

witamygreatdanes

Re: Xystichomis sp. 'Kyoga Flameback'

Post by witamygreatdanes » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:31 pm

Thank you, Jason!

Return to “Lake Victoria Cichlids”