Just one more in a never ending list of QUESTIONS!!!

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Victoria

Moderator: Greg Steeves

witamygreatdanes

Just one more in a never ending list of QUESTIONS!!!

Post by witamygreatdanes » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:15 pm

Hi. Ok, I have received some fry that are Paralabidochromis sp. "red fin piebald." Now, as fry they appear to be orange and flecked. When I googled them I found a photo taken by Kevin Bauman (whom I believe to be an expert) on this species and his photo shows a male fish that looks like very much like my paralabidochromis chromogynos... here is the link to the aforementioned fish. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=2635 . Now my question is, is this accurate or do these fish stay orange and splotchy. I have referred on an occasion or two to the fact that I thought the males did looking like my P. chromogynos and everyone tells me no, that is not correct they are an orange fish!

Any help at all will be great appreciated!

Consider me confused. :)

Kathy

JasonS

Re: Just one more in a never ending list of QUESTIONS!!!

Post by JasonS » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:25 pm

This particular species has a variable appearance; most often the males I have seen are orange to pinkish. The blotching is different than that found on chromogynous. The piebald blotching ranges from very little to almost the entire fish and has a background of very small flecks whereas the chromogynous lack the small background flecks.

Christophe de Medeiros
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Christophe de Medeiros » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:44 am

H.sp red fin piebald" differs by its external characters, its snout being more pointed in red fin than in chromogynos.
xris :)

witamygreatdanes

Post by witamygreatdanes » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:32 pm

Thanks again, guys!!! Eventually I will get all this. :)

Kathy

KevinB

Post by KevinB » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:14 pm

witamygreatdanes wrote:Hi. Ok, I have received some fry that are Paralabidochromis sp. "red fin piebald." Now, as fry they appear to be orange and flecked. When I googled them I found a photo taken by Kevin Bauman
Kathy
When I bought the juvenile red fin piebald they all looked identical. They were orange to pink-white and the piebald pattern looked very much like tiny little dots of black ink. As the males matured the dots got much more numerous until they all kind of coalesced into a solid purplish color. As you can see in other pictures on the C-F site, Greg Steeves male had a reddish hue.

Old World Exotics (Laif DeMason) has been selling red fin piebalds as "Flourescent Pink Piebalds" and I believe that they are a line bred variation intended to produce orange males.

Kevin

witamygreatdanes

Post by witamygreatdanes » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:00 am

Ok, that is what mine look like. They are mostly a light orange color with black or very dark blue speckles. I'm looking forward to seeing how they grow. They do come from CARES registered parents so I'm confident they are pure... :)

Thanks for all the information!

Kathy

Return to “Lake Victoria Cichlids”