New Question - Furu vs Fulu

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Victoria

Moderator: Greg Steeves

witamygreatdanes

New Question - Furu vs Fulu

Post by witamygreatdanes » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:14 am

Since I am new to Victorians, and cichlids, well, fish in general to be honest. I have had Fulus, and I have also read about fish referred to as Furu. Is someone willing to explain the difference of these two words to me, in layman's terms please?

Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: New Question - Furu vs Fulu

Post by Lisachromis » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:08 am

I believe it is this:

furu = native word for any cichlid from Lake Victoria e.g. (tilapia) Oreochromis esculentus
fulu = a specific type cichlid from Lake Victoria (haplochromine) - eg. Xystichromis phytophagus aka Christmas fulu

witamygreatdanes

Post by witamygreatdanes » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:03 am

Excellent! Thank you! I've been reading the cichlid room companion articles and they are so very informative!!! Again, thanks for answering my novice questions.

Kathy

LewC

Post by LewC » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:05 pm

I'm pretty sure they are different transliterations of the same word in the local language, so they mean the exact same thing: small, shallow water fish (though it may be more generalized or more specific).

Because "Fulu" is an older transliteration, it is enshrined in some fish names, but I'm guessing "Furu" is more accurate, though that may depend on which local dialect it us being taken from.

By the way, transliteration is when you take a word from a certain language and figure out a way to write that word in a defferent language that uses a totally unrelated method of righting. An example is how we represent Chinese words in English. "Peking" is an old transliteration, and "Beijing" is a newer, an probably more accurate, transliteration of the same Chinese word.

Kathy, thanks for making this part of the forum interesting again!

Lew

witamygreatdanes

Post by witamygreatdanes » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:17 pm

No problem, Lew! Thanks for looking at my post and taking time to respond!!! I'm dying to learn as much as I can about these great fish! I haven't had a real desire to learn this much in a long time and the CARES program as well as the Lake Victorian cichlids are providing me with a new hobby that I am really interested in!!! LOVE it!

Kathy

Return to “Lake Victoria Cichlids”