Victorian C.A.R.E.S. Fish with Well Defined Pedigree

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Victoria

Moderator: Greg Steeves

narioredmond

Victorian C.A.R.E.S. Fish with Well Defined Pedigree

Post by narioredmond » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am going to dedicate long term tank space to a Victorian basin C.A.R.E.S. priority list species. After discussions with CARES staff, they need a well defined pedigree for all fish registered in their program - which makes total sense to me. Would anyone have some guidance to procure wild or F1 or other fish with well defined pedigree? - prefer to have the pedigree defined all the way back to the specific collection location and even timing of the collection.

Let me know,
Peter

DRE

Re: Sv: Paraneetroplus bifasciatus 'Rio Chacamax'

Post by DRE » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:28 am

This sounds like a very interesting endeavor.
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

Christophe de Medeiros
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Victorian C.A.R.E.S. Fish with Well Defined Pedigree

Post by Christophe de Medeiros » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:30 am

Hi, this sounds good but there pesist some misidentifications on vics cichlids even in the cares program so...
xris :)

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:52 am

Which fish do you believe to be misIDed?

Christophe de Medeiros
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Christophe de Medeiros » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:27 am

Hi Lisa
the H.phytophagus
I saw two differentiated species under that name belonging to two separated species( even Les Kaufmann and Seehausen have great doubts about this fishes)
Platytaeniodus .sp"red tail sheller"
this species doesn't belong to this genus at all. I made measurments of the teeth form, number of rows and jaw apparatus organization that shown me that this species rather belongs to the Ptyochromis subgenus,
Psammochromis riponiannus
the fish under this name in the US is too far from the original description of this species and it doesn't belong to the subgenus Psammochromis but seems rather close to the Paralabidochromis plagiodon in terms of external characters.
H.obliquidens, what is sold in the US under that name is not this species at all but a fish rather close to the sp44 thick skin, the holotype of the original description of the obliquidens species revealed that it's closer to the H.sp"red back scraper" than to any sp44
the Mbipia lutea Yala swamp, this fish looks a like a Mbipia species but it hasent' been prooved by any scientific description( as for Platytaeniodus red tail sheller" so no one can be sure it's a lutea or another population or species
the Mbipia sp Porthole, the same thing than previously said, wich scientist described it as a Mbipia fish???
xris :)

witamygreatdanes

Post by witamygreatdanes » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:19 pm

I actually have questions about this as well. I am very interested in supporting CARES but it seems to be more difficult with the Lake Victorian cichlids which are also my fish of choice! I would really like to know of a way that would ensure that the fish I get would be eligible for CARES and also WHERE to get them! I have been searching for a while for at least one species and would like to get a few more but I would prefer to get the ones that are in the most danger. Where would I go to do this. I have tried contacting the people that are involved with CARES and so far no real luck.

Thanks,

Kathy Williams
Witamygreatdanes

witamygreatdanes

Post by witamygreatdanes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:58 am

Hi. It actually took a long time to get that particular post approved and with that being said, I have learned a lot! :) My suggestion is to find the fish you want to get and then contact the person on the CARES registry that is in charge of that particular species. In the case of the Lake Victorians it is Greg Steeve. He is the one that has to approve the fish anyway, when you send it in to CARES so if anyone knows whether a fish is the correct species or not, it is him. :) Good luck in your search. I have just recently become successful and it was with Greg Steeve's help.

witamygreatdanes

Post by witamygreatdanes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:03 am

sorry, it is Greg Steeves. :)

Return to “Lake Victoria Cichlids”