Kyoga flameback setup?

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Victoria

Moderator: Greg Steeves

Fish Guy

Kyoga flameback setup?

Post by Fish Guy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:07 pm

I was wondering what would be the best setup for Kyoga flamebacks? I am planning a species tank, but was wondering should the setup have lots of rocks or more open areas? I have read that they do like open areas versus having lots of rock around. Also how hard are the males on the females, I'm thinking of getting 12 or more so I want to make sure to get a good ratio of males to females. Also any tips on keeping these guys would be great aswell. Thanks.

Scott Jackson

Re: Kyoga flameback setup?

Post by Scott Jackson » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:56 am

Honestly, they are quite easy fish to keep and breed, you should be able to flood your friends, LFSs and clubs with these :)
There are far better experts here, but mine do well in a 40 long, some cover, some plants (I can only keep plastic ones), a few rocks for territory definition and cover. Not picky on water or foods, for breeding production, I keep mine as a species tank.
BEWARE THE HYBRIDS! Many/MOST of these are fouled with errant genes! Find a highly reputable source, honestly, if it's not traceable within a generation to one of the US leaders in Vic's, I'd skip 'em. I've gotten them from a couple of good-sounding sources and ended up scrapping the colonies. To take it one step further, if Greg in TX or Jason in MN doesn't validate them, move along. Sorry, JMO and IME.
Once you find a good source and they are a few months old, you'll have 'em coming out your ears :)

mnjason

Post by mnjason » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:07 pm

ok well first off thanks scott and second i like to know where the fish im buyin came from.since there is so much junk out there and there is really only 20 of us that are serious victorian keepers in the u.s so everyone kinda knows who has what or where it went.

and as for your tank set up and now when i say this it my not work for you! i put a few rocks in the center 6-7 inches high and i have been putting smaller rocks in a pile that fry can hide in since i have been so busy its working so im sticking with it.i have sand in every tank i have if your going to the oca look me up if you have any questions ill be happy to answer them

LewC

Post by LewC » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 am

Yeah, I kind of thought Jason would like Scott's post! :lol:

I'd add Kevin in Ohio to that list, also. I'm sure there are a few others, but not many.

Lew

Return to “Lake Victoria Cichlids”