Pundamilia Nyererei

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Victoria

Moderator: Greg Steeves

Jombi21

Pundamilia Nyererei

Post by Jombi21 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:35 am

I know little about Victorians, or Africans in general. I received a group of 6 Pundamilia Nyererei from another OCA member. He was selling it as a group of one male to five females, all of decent size, 2-3". When I got them home, it looked right. One was black and colorful and the rest looked like female African fish.

I've had them for a few months now, and I'm noticing that the male is not vibrant at all, rather displaying dull colors. On the other hand, a few of the females have ridiculous coloration as of late. Oranges, and yellows, and greens, and wow! I really can't take my eyes off of them. They are aggressive and lively.

Any idea what's going on in my tank?

Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: Pundamilia Nyererei

Post by Lisachromis » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:33 pm

Are they in a species only tank? If not, the male is probably not the 'king of the castle' so to speak. Females stay grey, basically. If you're seeing oranges and greens, it's a distinct possibility that they are boys. Do those fish have egg spots?

Jombi21

Post by Jombi21 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:51 pm

It's a species only tank... 75 gallons.

Wouldn't the new males display the dark black body, like the other known male? The "females" have actually outgrown the male. They don't really boss him around, just the other "females."

The coloration on these fish immediately reminded me of some tropheus I've seen at a talk.

Well, a google search for P. Nyererei shows males with that yellow color as distinct even moreso than the black. I wonder if I have a bunch of males. Could they color up much later than the other male?

Hrm

Jom

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:51 am

Well, when I raised mine, when the males were young, and not a "big man" they stayed with lighter colour and only the really dominant ones showed a dark body. I think it's their way of trying to look innocuous so the big male doesn't beat them up. Do you know a locale for your nyererei? I know there's differences in the locales.

Jombi21

Post by Jombi21 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:31 pm

Mwanza Gulf per the seller.

Thanks for the responses, Lisa!

Return to “Lake Victoria Cichlids”