Breeding for Color variation in Tangs.

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Tanganyika

Moderators: Troy, Thomas Andersen

RBear

Breeding for Color variation in Tangs.

Post by RBear » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:11 pm

Hi Folks,
I have bred cichlids for many years including tangs in the lamp. and juli family, a few odd tangs here and there. I have bred Angelfish and Discus as well concentrating on developing and or isolating color variations.
I am curious, with the exception of tropheus, I have not noticed anyone breeding tangs. with color selection or isolation in mind. The daffodil "brichardi's" yellow color is surprisingly muted considering they have been around for decades and commonly bred. The juli's have not shown any developement other than new found locality variations.
Now I have not kept a pulse on the tang. community since the advent of the internet and so I am not certian, is there any interest in the tang. community for selectively bred color morphs (not "naturally" occuring)? I have in mind a couple of neolamps., lamps., and juli's. I am not talking about "color enhancing" hormones or feeds, but color genome strengthening through selective breeding.
Does anyone know of work being done in this arena?

Thanks for comments and questions,
Bear

Foai

Re: Breeding for Color variation in Tangs.

Post by Foai » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:52 am

I’m keeping Tanganyikans for 15 years and my main motivation is to keep them is ,most of them are ‘pure’ strains, both in hobby and lake. If someone wants to keep hybrid fish or selectively breed fish they can go for malawi Cichlids,discus or live bearers. If i see a red Cyprichromis or yellow foai that day means it’s the end of my african cichlid hobby.

And i think those crossbreeders or hybrid lovers don’t get the idea behind the hobby. Nature has enough variations of colors,behavior,shape and size... But mother nature not enough for this immature people. There are tons of colors of a species but it’s not enough? You want red frontosa or brown furcifer or what?

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:39 am

red frontosa exist (infortunatly)
https://www.google.fr/search?q=red+fron ... 80&bih=889

(sorry impossible to use img BBcode

Philippe

steves

Post by steves » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Greetings,

I line bred Jul. ornatus for over 25 years and unfortunately lost the strain while building a new house and moving the tanks and fish to their new home. I did select for good color (yellow) and solid black bars. Would like to get some decent ones to start them again in my tanks but the ones I've recently seen are very pale yellow in color.

Cichlid Power,

Steve

Return to “Lake Tanganyika Cichlids”