Lamprichthys tanganicanus

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Tanganyika

Moderators: Troy, Thomas Andersen

sic_4_vics

Lamprichthys tanganicanus

Post by sic_4_vics » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:04 am

Anyone here ever keep this species? I came across it and have the opportunity to get some. I like the looks and was just wondering what kind of care they need. Are they sensitive to disease, shy or aggressive...etc? I will do some more research but id like to know any personal info anyone may have.

tanganyikanhunt

Re: Lamprichthys tanganicanus

Post by tanganyikanhunt » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:19 am

Yes, I keep this fish and have had them for about 4 years now. It is my favorite fish.

They are very sensitive to water quality so check your water before you change to new. My local water will sometimes vary in ph so I have learned the hard way to make sure it is close before putting in new water.

They will eat like crazy and really enjoy live baby brine. You may have to swirl food lower in the water column as they are definitely pigs and will not let food pass by. Keep them in at least a 60 gallon tank as they really need room to zoom around in. If you ever are so unlucky as to have them come down with ich use plain salt and a higher temperature to kill the disease. Over the counter remedies will kill them.

I am currently hatching out about 40 fry and they spawn everyday.

If you have questions, just ask.

Tony

tanganyikanhunt

Post by tanganyikanhunt » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:32 am

Here is my avatar from another board:

tanganyikanhunt
lamprichthys-6.jpg
lamprichthys-6.jpg (7.33 KiB) Viewed 14034 times

sic_4_vics

Post by sic_4_vics » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:11 pm

How big do these get? How do you condition/and are they easy to breed? Do they takle awhile to color up? Great in fo so far. :D

tanganyikanhunt

Post by tanganyikanhunt » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:19 pm

Wild males will get to be about 6". They prefer a meaty diet, I feed mine mysis, bbs, and black worms. They also enjoy spiralina flake.

The best setup for spawning is two males with a colony of many females.

Females are always colored up. Males really start at about 1.5"

Pam Chin
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Pam Chin » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:47 pm

I love this fish too!! It is stunning! I have had them a couple of times, but no success, and probably all my fault. But I definitely want to try them again.
Cichlid Power!
Pam Chin

I've never met a cichlid I didn't like!
http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh506/PamChin100/

tanganyikanhunt

Post by tanganyikanhunt » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:41 pm

Hi Pam,

I am surprised!! How are your foai? Lol, you know the 'silverfish'. :lol:

Pm me, I am raising these.

Tony

sic_4_vics

Post by sic_4_vics » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:41 am

thanks again for the info. One of my major concerns would be with the shipping of these fish. These are not too cheap and im not sure what kind of loss fish like this have in a typical shipment. I was thinking of gettin 10-12. Just dont want to spend $200.00 to end up with a few of them....but i understand the shipping biz as well. To gamble...or not is my next decision because i havent seen them available close to home here either.

Would these be ok in the same tank as Ps. Acei?

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:33 am

Maybe you could find someone who is breeding them. It's pretty easy to ship the eggs. I had some eggs mailed to me several years ago. I had a lot hatch, but unfortunately when they got larger, I somehow ended up with all females. I kept them til they died. I would like to try these again one day.

tanganyikanhunt

Post by tanganyikanhunt » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:33 am

If these are wild fish please pm me. You have to know your shipper. I bought 5 wild fish, that were in terrible shape a year or so ago from an experienced shipper. In spite of following my directions, these fish were a bit too far gone and out of 5 two survived. I was walked through acclimating the fish by someone who has imported them many times. Luckily it was a male and a female. I am always looking for wild ones. I am probably a fanatic about this species.

If these are tank raised fish, then have them shipped at about 1.5". It is almost impossible for someone to sex them at that age but they ship very well. I sent a box of 40 that size to a friend in No. Cal. and they all survived in spite of being in the box for over ten hours.

I would not put tanganyikan fish in with malawi fish. I once put two large males in a display tank of malawi fish at a well known retailer only to return several days later to find the malawi fish had killed my fish.

I have about 25 fry now.

Tony

sic_4_vics

Post by sic_4_vics » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:29 am

yes these are coming from a well known shipper. they are 1.5-2". I kinda like this egg idea. :D

Pam Chin
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Pam Chin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:28 pm

My fascination with this fish happened in Lake Tanganyika, I got to watch a pair spawning, it was unbelievable. I was totally mezmerized by them. SInce then I have gotten them a couple of times when I have gone to fish events. Each time they were small fry under 1", and they traveled fine; fish box checked as luggage. I was worried about that, but I think if they are small enough it is not as risky. I have heard of horror stories where just moving adults from one tank to another and they die. Anyway, I think my mistake has been too small of a tank. I get them up to a certain size, and then they start kill each other off. And if you don't pay attention, before you know it they are all gone.

I really like the egg idea, so maybe I should look into that.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam Chin

I've never met a cichlid I didn't like!
http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh506/PamChin100/

zencakd

Post by zencakd » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:10 pm

A fascinating fish! I'm sending you a picture I have made one week ago. Hope you like it :-)

David
Attachments
lamprichtis_web_722.jpg

sic_4_vics

Post by sic_4_vics » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:53 pm

Alright...whos got some eggs?...lol

Very nice Pic. :D

sic_4_vics

Post by sic_4_vics » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:10 am

what kind of maintenance regimine do you guys do. I read that too large of water changes isnt good on them either. Do you recommend say a 20% a week? Or do you have to change the water a couple times a week? Should i have water prepared ahead of time?

I use prime and typically just add it while i filling and have no ill-effects with other fish. But i know the others i keep arent sensitive like these guys.

I would to look to keep these in a 90g tank.

zencakd

Post by zencakd » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:19 am

I keep them in 10x2.5x2.5 so they have plenty of room for themselves and they can use it! In this setup I change (automatically) about 1/6 of the tank volume on Monday and Friday.

David

tanganyikanhunt

Post by tanganyikanhunt » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:16 am

As has been my practice for the last 4 years, I give them a 50% water change weekly. I had a bad experience a while back, losing most of my females, when the local water company, who advertises in statistics that their water is ph 8, suddenly let it drop to 7.2. So nowadays, before the water goes in it gets tested.

They can be somewhat sensitive to water change parameters, just check your water before you put new water in. I use Amquel to eliminate the chloramines in my water.

Beautiful picture David!!!

EC

Post by EC » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:10 am

Kambwimba.

Ciao Enrico
lampri.jpg

cyatide

Post by cyatide » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:40 am

A few pics:

Enjoy :D ,