Haplotaxodon trifasciatus information thread

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Tanganyika

Moderators: Troy, Thomas Andersen

Fazi64

Re: Haplotaxodon trifasciatus information thread

Post by Fazi64 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:51 am

Hi,
What happend guys??
Why are you so secret regarding news of haplotaxodon?
Some success in breeding??
Please inform us all interested in those splendid fish what's going on with them :)
Chris

Thomas Andersen
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Thomas Andersen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:59 am

No secrecy for my part, it's just that not much has happend with my group, other than increasing their size. The biggest are now around 20 cm's, and I think it's time to move them to their own tank, and then have a serious attempt in trying breeding them.

Hopefully Michael will soon drop by, and let us know what's happening with his groups.

All the best, Thomas

sidguppy

Post by sidguppy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:23 am

mine are gone

after the disaster wich struck in februari and killed so many fish only 4 of the 9 managed to survive.
fortunately those 4 are 2 males and 2 females wich was fairly obvious by bodyshape and also behaviour when the males start to do their circling and displaying.

but the Tanganyikans are leaving. and my trifasciatus left last week for a big tank in Eindhoven. :wink:
"And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it"
Jean-Luc Picard

Marius Purcel

Re:

Post by Marius Purcel » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:46 am

Colby Dixon wrote:Wow! is correct!

Mime, Thank you for the wonderful write up!

I do believe this thread is now the best online resource available for Haplotaxadon info!

I will also keep this thread updated as I begin the process of setting up a tank for the fish.

I know we all frown uppon 'common' names...However, my wife has already taken to calling this Genus the "Pelican Cichlids" :D ...and I can't help but see the resemblance!
I would say so.. nice to see you here as well. It's Xenomorph from MM :D
You can never know too much.

Colby Dixon

Post by Colby Dixon » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:06 pm

Hey Xeno! Glad to see you made it over here. The wealth of experience and knowledge here is really incredible.

As far as the Haplo's go they are still doing well, eating like hogs and getting larger :) Nothing new to report in the breeding arena, I think I still have some more time before I start to see any "action". I have decided for now that I will not try to increase the number of fish...I am going to give it ago with just my pair and see if I have any luck with the two. I have a suspicion that since these fish are known to be biparental mouthbrooders that they may "pair off" and establish deep pair bonds in the wild. Perhaps "forcing" the pair as I am doing may not be the best method but since others are trying with groups, I will see what happens with a pair.

Sid, I'm truly sorry to hear about your your losses, hopefully the surviving fish will produce for their new keeper. Did "dhonti" get them?

Is any body else out there working with this fish?
I'm not an aquatic biologist...I just play one on the internet.
-CD-AKA-Seedy

sidguppy

Post by sidguppy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:41 am

Hey Colby

nope, Dhonti quit with ALL Tanganyikans more than a year ago and made a complete switch to South American cichlids

i still keep Tanganyikans, in the smaller tanks. Xenotilapia's, Neolamprologus obscurus and the like.
small stuff. the big un is madagascar, check my pix in that section :wink:

the Haplo's went to another guy i know from the NVC (Dutch cichlid association), who has a large tank with frontosa's and the like
these I still have too. and the catfish of course. they do fine with the Madagascarians for now.
"And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it"
Jean-Luc Picard

straitjacketstar

Haplotaxodon trifasciata

Post by straitjacketstar » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:13 am

Finally got some somewhat decent shots of the Haplotaxodon and though the pictures are dark they're a big step up from the usual blur of blue and purple squiggles I can take of them.

Thomas Andersen
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Thomas Andersen » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:43 am

Nice looking H. trifasciatus!

I've merged your post with the existing H. trifasciatus thread, as we might as well gather all the info/pics in one thread :)

Thomas

mshuangchao

Post by mshuangchao » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:56 am

Bo wrote:Very nice info on some very interesting cichlids!

I have kept these fish in my small shop for some time! I had no problem what so ever with them. The eat good, an were doing fine.
I sold them too a good friend of mine.
He has been experiencing some difficulties. The are very easily getting sick, and are blowing up. (bloat)

Does any of you have a record of them beeing fragile?

As mentioned, I dont think they were fragile, but whats you opinion on this issue?
YES, EXACTLY!
I have not had more trouble with any other species of fish... mine are H. microlepis "Zambia"

They seem very reluctant to accept dried foods (Tropical flakes, krill pellets, New Life cichlid pellets, dried mysis shrimp... you name it). I keep my 5 pieces with my Bathybates group and they LOVE the big chunks of Oreochromis niloticus meat I intend to feed my Bathybates. After gorging themselves, they would show symptoms of bloat which I quickly diagnose and treat with Octozin. I have healed them up to 3 times now and have finally decided to give up Tilapia meat.

This time, I have been experimenting with boiling the dried mysis shrimp and then freezing them as cubes, so they are filled with water and sink when thawed for feeding. Hope this finally works. This species has given me many headaches, probably even more than my gf gives me.
Chao Huang (SYSU)
Freshwater crabs of Continental China

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:22 pm

Well I have had 6 H. trifasciatus since May now. They are in a 6' tank with just a lone Julie, a young front and a BN plec. They are very peaceful, eat hungrily (flake and mysis mainly but also mosquito larvae and chopped prawn). So far, no problems with any sickness at all. They are growing well and their fin extensions (which were non existent when I bought them) are growing nicely. I have no idea whether I have males or females. Is there any way of telling other than venting?
I kept them with some small sword tails for a while as dithers but none of them were eaten. I am enjoying them though. I think they should be more popular.

The Fishroom

Post by The Fishroom » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:57 am

Hi everyone, I've been reading all your info dating back to 2007. What great info.

I'm looking for information on Haplotaxadon Microlepis.

I am losing them slowly to not eating and I cannot work out why? Has anyone had any experience with this please? They were fine when I first got them 2 months ago, and in the last week I've lost 2 and noticed 3 more not eating.

Please help.

Return to “Lake Tanganyika Cichlids”