Stocking a very large Tang tank

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Tanganyika

Moderators: Troy, Thomas Andersen

Jorsay

Stocking a very large Tang tank

Post by Jorsay » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:48 pm

I am setting up a very large Tanganyikan Tank. It has been a minor life long ambition. The tank is ready for fish. I am an experienced Tanganyikan enthusiast. Throughout my life I have had several large tang tanks, such as 300s through 200s and many 125s. I have put tropheus with Fronts, lelupi, tetracanthus, kendali, and other odd fish and all but the kendali have mated in the same large tank (300 gallon).

I want to put a large variety of fish together. The tank is extremely large, so please keep an open mind. I appreciate any input.

I don't have too much experience with sand dwellers so I would like some advice about mixing them. I was thinking about Callochromis, Enantiopus kilesa, xenotilapia, and cyathopharynx. Perhaps 5 of each. How much room on the sand floor to accommodate all of these?

I want to try 3 groups of of sand shell dwellers. I am thinking similis, telmatochromis temporalis, and ocellatus. I plan to place about one hundred shells for each, and separate them by several feet and some rockwork.

In the rocks, and in the open, I plan to have cyps and fronts (I tried this before, with no success, but this is a much larger tank. I also was thinking about Benthochromis tricoti (I haven't tried these fish yet.) Additionally I was thinking lelupi, cylindricus, calvus, compressiceps, sexfasciatus, brichardi, and perhaps, down the road, lepidolamprologus kendali

Before I say how large the tank is, please tell me what size you think I would need (or perhaps you think that no size is large enough with this combination). Also, I would like suggestions for other cool Tangs. I am considering lobochilotes.

Foai

Re: Stocking a very large Tang tank

Post by Foai » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:28 am

Owww what a mysterious post. How can people share information without knowing what your tank size is?

Jorsay

Re: Stocking a very large Tang tank

Post by Jorsay » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:12 am

5500 gallons

Return to “Lake Tanganyika Cichlids”